Add share buttons to blog posts, products, events, and Album Pages to help visitors share your content on social media and other websites. Encouraging social sharing can expand your audience and drive more traffic to your site.
You can add share buttons for these services:
- Pinterest (for items with thumbnail images)
Version 7.1 doesn't support built-in share buttons. You can create your own share buttons by adding custom code to Code Injection, a premium feature. To learn more, visit this post in the Squarespace Forum.
Keep in mind, custom code modifications fall outside the scope of our support. This means we’re unable to help you set up or troubleshoot code-based solutions.
Watch a video
Add share buttons
To enable share buttons:
- In the Home Menu, click Marketing.
- Click Share Buttons.
- Check each social media site you want to add as a sharing option.
- To hide a social media site from the list of sharing options, uncheck it.
- Click Save to confirm your changes.
After saving your changes, share buttons appear automatically. If they don't appear on a specific page type, you may need to enable them.
Enable share buttons (computer only)
After selecting social media sites, you might need to enable share buttons for some pages separately, depending on your site's style settings.
To enable share buttons, open an Album Page, Events Page, or individual event. Then go to the Home Menu and click Design, then Site Styles, and change the tweak for that page type or item:
- Album Pages - Uncheck Hide Album Share Link in the Album Options section.
- Events Pages - Check Show Social Buttons in the Events section.
- Individual events - Check Show Social Buttons in the Events section.
If share buttons aren't appearing on your Blog or Products Pages, ensure they're not hidden.
Share link vs. advanced share buttons
In most template families, share buttons display behind a Share link. Clicking the link reveals all the enabled share buttons in an overlay menu.
Other templates have advanced share buttons. These buttons display directly on the page and have special styling options. Templates with advanced share buttons also display share links on certain pages.
Where share buttons display
Usually, share buttons may appear on individual collection item pages. Review this list to see where share buttons display in most template families:
- Album Pages - Below album title
- Events - Below descriptions on the main Events Page and individual events
- Blog posts - Below content on the main Blog Page and individual blog posts
- Products - Below descriptions and Add to Cart buttons on individual products
Share buttons display differently in these template families:
- Brine, Farro, Skye, Tremont, York - Advanced share buttons display on blog posts and products, while standard share links display on Album Pages, Events Pages, and individual events.
- Flatiron - Gallery Pages display share links, and Layout Pages display share links when added to an Index.
- Galapagos - share links don't display on the main Blog Page.
Advanced share buttons
Advanced Share buttons display directly on blog posts and products in these template families:
After enabling share buttons, you can change their size, spacing, color, and style:
- Go to a blog post or individual product page.
- In the Home Menu, click Design, then click Site Styles.
- Scroll down to Share Buttons.
- Use the Style tweak to adjust the style (icon only, solid, outline, or raised) of the share buttons.
Depending on which style you choose, more tweaks will appear to add labels and adjust the button options. Here are a few ways you can style them:
Hide share buttons
To remove all share buttons on your site:
- In the Home Menu, click Marketing.
- Click Share Buttons.
- Uncheck all the social media sites.
Hide from product details pages only
To remove share buttons from product details pages only, in the Home Menu, click Design, then click Site Styles.
Use the Site Styles tweaks below to remove the buttons in these template families:
- Brine, Farro, Skye, Tremont, York - Uncheck Show Share Buttons
- Galapagos, Supply - Check Hide Product Share Button
- All other templates - Uncheck Product Social Sharing
Hide from Blog Pages only
To remove share buttons from Blog Pages in these template families:
- Bedford, Pacific - Scroll down to Blog in Site Styles and check Hide List Entry Footer. This also hides comment links and Like buttons on Blog Pages, but doesn't hide share links on individual blog posts.
- All other templates - Uncheck all the social media sites in the Share Buttons panel to remove them from your whole site, including Blog Pages.
Hide from blog posts only
To remove share buttons from blog posts in these template families:
- Skye - Scroll down to Share Buttons in Site Styles and uncheck Show Icons, Show Labels, and Show Counts.
- Farro - Scroll down to Blog: Item in Site Styles and uncheck Show Share Buttons.
- All other templates - Uncheck all the social media sites in the Share Buttons panel to remove them from your whole site, including blog posts.
Hide from Album Pages and Events Pages
Follow the steps in this section, but check Hide Album Share Link for Album Pages and uncheck Show Social Buttons for Events Pages and items.
Facebook and Pinterest display
Note the exceptions with these services:
- Facebook - In share links, the Facebook option displays as a Like icon. Clicking this button won’t post content directly to visitors’ Facebook timelines, but the content may appear in their friends’ News Feeds, depending on their individual settings and Facebook’s algorithms. In advanced share buttons, the Facebook option shares to profiles directly.
- Pinterest - The sharing option only appears for blog posts, products, events, or Album Pages with thumbnail images because Pinterest pulls the thumbnail as the image to pin.
You may want to connect your site to social media in other ways: