A favicon, or browser icon, is a small square image that displays next to a page's title in browser tabs and in other places across the web. Adding a custom favicon makes your site recognizable in a browser full of tabs or bookmarks.
All Squarespace sites start with our default cube favicon. If you leave it as-is, people who know the icon will recognize that you're part of the Squarespace community. You can replace it with your own image to better fit your site's brand.
Tip: To add a favicon on the Cover Page-only plan (discontinued), visit Finishing touches for a Cover Page plan.
Add a favicon
- In the Home Menu, click Design, and then click Logo & Title.
- Scroll down to Browser Icon (Favicon) and drag your image into the image uploader, or click the uploader to select a file from your computer.
- After your image uploads, click Save.
If your favicon doesn't update right away, we recommend clearing your browser cache and restarting your browser. Browsers can be very persistent in holding on to cached favicons.
- Safari doesn't display favicons.
- On mobile, the favicon display depends on your mobile browser. In some cases, the favicon won't display at all.
Favicon images work best across all browsers when sized between 100px × 100px and 300px × 300px, though they display at 16px × 16px. These are the standard favicon dimensions. While some browsers support larger favicon files, all will support that size.
We recommend using an .ico or a .png file as the favicon image. Some versions of Internet Explorer may have trouble displaying a .png as a favicon.
Favicon image files can't exceed 100 KB.
We don't currently support multi-version favicons. To upload your favicon correctly, use a single version of the image and remove other versions from the file.