Represent your brand with a custom favicon.
A favicon, or browser icon, is a small square image that displays next to a page's title in browser tabs and in other places across the web. Adding a custom favicon makes your site recognizable in a browser full of tabs or bookmarks.
All Squarespace sites start with our default cube favicon. If you leave it as-is, people who know the icon will recognize that you're part of the Squarespace community. You can replace it with your own image to better fit your site's brand.
Watch a video
Add a favicon
To add a favicon:
- Open the Favicon panel.
- Drag your image into the image uploader, or click the uploader to choose a file from your computer.
- (Optional) Add an alternate version of your favicon that displays when visitors view your site in Dark Mode. It's not possible to add a Dark Mode favicon without first adding a default favicon.
- After your images upload, click Save.
If your favicon doesn't update right away, we recommend clearing your browser cache and restarting your browser. Browsers can be very persistent in holding on to cached favicons.
Your favicon displays differently across browsers and devices:
- In Safari, the favicon appears when you click the address bar or if you open multiple browser tabs.
- Usually, the favicon doesn't display on mobile browsers.
- Your favicon may display next to your site in search results.
Favicon images work best across all browsers when sized between 100px × 100px and 300px × 300px, though they display at 16px × 16px. These are the standard favicon dimensions. While some browsers support larger favicon files, all will support that size.
Search engines that display your favicon in search results may have their own requirements. For example, Google requires that your favicon be a multiple of 48px square, like 48x48px, 96x96px, 144x144px and so on. To ensure your favicon displays in search results, find the search engine's recommendations for favicon display and set your image to meet those requirements.
We recommend using a .png file as the favicon image. We don't support uploading .ico files.
Favicon image files can't exceed 100 KB.
We don't currently support multi-version favicons. To upload your favicon correctly, use a single version of the image and remove other versions from the file.