The contact information for your Squarespace Domain (also known as your Who.is information) is what you enter and review when you register or transfer it. This guide shows how to enter your domain contact information and edit it any time.
Keep your information up to date
It's important to keep your domain contact information up to date — especially the email address — because:
- We send important notifications for your domain to this email address.
- We use the email address to verify domain ownership.
- Other domain providers may request this information if you transfer the domain to them.
We keep your domain contact information private. Depending on your registrar, different fields will show in domain registration searches. To learn more about the fields that display, visit WHOIS privacy.
When you register a domain, WHOIS privacy is enabled automatically, except for .co.uk, .de, .uk, and some .ca domains. These TLDs have specific rules that don't allow for WHOIS privacy. You can disable WHOIS privacy.
Each Squarespace Domain has four contact fields that you can assign for different purposes. If your site management team is small, we recommend using the same person for all four contacts. Larger organizations can assign roles to different people if necessary.
- Owner - The primary contact. The Owner is listed as the official registrant for the domain and receives all domain emails.
- Admin - The secondary contact. The Admin won't have ownership of the domain but will receive most domain emails.
- Tech - A backup contact. The Tech contacts only receives critical domain emails.
- Billing - Another backup contact. The Billing contact only receives critical domain emails and isn't listed in the core WHOIS information.
Formatting contact information
Our system is sensitive about the formatting of these fields. When you register a new domain, transfer a domain to Squarespace, or edit your contact information, follow the formatting tips below and review everything carefully.
Note: None of the registration fields accept special characters, such as ü, é, ñ, or ø.
- Use an email address that's not associated with the domain you're registering or transferring. For example, if you're registering createbeautifulwebsite.net, you can't enter addresses ending in @createbeautifulwebsite.net. This ensures that if your domain is ever suspended or expired, we can still contact you.
- If you’re transferring a domain, ensure that the email address is one you can access, as this is how we’ll notify you that your transfer is complete.
- If possible, don't use an Apple email address (usually ending in @mac.com, @me.com, or @icloud.com). These accounts sometime mark our verification emails as spam, making it more difficult for you to verify your domain and complete registration.
- Remove any spaces after the address.
- Enter your phone number with no dashes and no country code, like 5559876543.
- After clicking Continue or Save, the country code will automatically be added based on the country chosen in your address.
- In Address 1, include the number and street name of your address only.
- Use Address Line 2 for information like an apartment or floor number. This field is optional.
- If you don't live in Canada or the United States, leave the State field blank.
- Ensure that the Postal Code is correct and formatted properly.
- Choose a Country that matches your phone number. This determines the country code.
- This field must include a minimum of four characters, and at least three characters must be letters. If you're not registering a domain for an organization, this field is optional.
Edit a domain contact
To review and change domain contact information:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click the domain you want to review, then click Registration Information.
- In the Registration Information panel, click any contact to review and update their information. To avoid errors, follow the formatting tips above.
- Confirm that the email address listed is correct.
- To copy this registration information so it applies to all contacts, check Apply to all Whois records.
- Scroll to the bottom of the panel and click Update Whois Record.
- If your domain's registrar is Squarespace Domains LLC, you'll see a pop-up confirming the changes. If you changed the Owner's name, organization, or email address, you'll have the option to enable a 60 day lock. Review the information in the pop-up, if everything looks correct, click Submit.
- In the Home Menu, tap Settings, then tap Domains.
- Tap the domain you want to review.
- Tap Registration Information.
- Tap on any contact to review and update their information.
- Ensure that the email address listed is correct.
- Tap Save.
- If your domain's registrar is Squarespace Domains LLC, you'll see a panel to confirm the changes. If you changed the Owner's name, organization, or email address, you'll have the option to enable a 60 day lock. Review the information in the panel, if everything looks correct, tap Submit.
Note: If your domain's registrar is Squarespace Domains LLC, you can cancel the change to the email address in the Registration Information panel. Look for the Contact changes pending message, then click Cancel.
Verify Owner contact changes via email
After changing the Owner's email address, you'll receive a verification email from us. The content of the email depends on the domain's registrar.
Squarespace Domains LLC
If your domain's registrar is Squarespace Domains LLC, the message will be from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Confirm changes to your domain."
If you changed the Owner's email address, you must verify the change within five days or your domain will be suspended. The change must be approved by both the new email address and the old email address:
- In the email, click Review changes.
- Click Confirm in the page that opens.
- Repeat the process with the remaining email address to complete the change.
If you changed any other contact information for the Owner, Admin, Tech, or Billing roles, you'll receive a confirmation email. There's no action needed, the change is complete.
If your domain's registrar is Tucows, the email will be from email@example.com with the subject "Verification Required: Please verify your domain name(s) as soon as possible." It can sometimes take up to 24 hours for this email to arrive.
Even if you verified your domain after registration, you must verify it again after changing the Owner's email address. If you don't verify your domain via email, your domain will be suspended in 15 days.
Note: If you change contact information to an email address that completed verification before, your email address is already verified and you won't receive another email.
- In the email, click the link in the email to verify your domain.
- Click Verify Information in the page that opens.
- After verifying your domain via email, the contact information change is complete.
Resend the verification email
If you can't find the verification email in your inbox or spam/junk folder, you can resend the message. How you resend the message depends on your domain's registrar.
Squarespace Domains LLC
If your domain's registrar is Squarespace Domains LLC, follow these steps to resend the verification email:
- In the Home menu click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click the domain you changed the information for recently, then click Registration Information.
- In the Contact changes pending message, click Resend.
- Watch for the message to arrive in the new and old email addresses inboxes.
If your domain's registrar is Tucows, you can resend the verification email from the Domains panel.
Optional 60 day domain lock
If you change the Owner's name, organization, or email address, you'll have the option to turn on a 60 day domain lock. This lock only applies to domains with Squarespace Domains LLC as the registrar. If you enable the lock, you can't transfer the domain away from Squarespace for 60 days.
Back up your contact information
Since your domain contact information is important, we recommend saving it somewhere convenient so you have it for your records.