Image metadata is information attached to image files. If you use image metadata, you can import it to Gallery Blocks and Gallery Pages on your site.
Metadata usually includes titles, descriptions, tags, and location information. You can add metadata to images from a camera that took the image or with image editing software.
Step 1 - Enable metadata importing
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Advanced.
- Click Image Metadata Importing.
- Check Enable Image Metadata Importing.
Step 2 - Verify metadata
Before importing, ensure that your images include the metadata you need. Depending on your camera or image editing software, the information fields may look different. For example:
- In Adobe Photoshop: In the File menu, click File Info, then complete the Document Title and Description fields. Add tags in the Keywords field.
- In Adobe Lightroom: In the Library module, click the Metadata drop-down and complete the Title and Caption fields. Add tags in the Keywording drop-down.
For all imports:
- To ensure tags display properly, separate keywords with semicolons or commas.
- Image titles have a limit of 64 characters.
Step 3 - Add your images
Note: Metadata imports to Gallery Pages and Gallery Blocks, but not Image Blocks.
After you've enabled metadata importing, when you add images to a Gallery Page, the title, description, and tags will display in the Content tab of the image editor.
If there's location data, it appears in the Location tab of the image editor.
When adding images to a Gallery Block, the title and description display in the image editor. Gallery Blocks don't use tags or locations.
What image files are supported?
Metadata can only be imported for .jpeg and .jpg files with metadata stored according to the EXIF (IDO) and IPTC standards. Use photo editing software like Lightroom or Aperture (among others) to meet these requirements.
What metadata information can be imported?
Squarespace imports image titles, descriptions, tags, and GPS longitude and latitude.
What are the benefits of importing metadata?
By importing metadata, you can manage information in a central place, like your photo editing software. You won't need to add the information twice when adding images to your site. This is especially useful for professional photographers.