Squarespace includes a built-in Image Editor for making changes to images on your site. Editing tools include cropping, aspect ratio, brightness, saturation, and contrast.
Any changes you make using the editor will permanently change the uploaded images. We recommend saving original image files on your computer or another storage method.
Tip: We recently replaced a third-party image editor with this built-in tool to provide a better experience for our customers. Some tools from the older editor aren't in the new one, but we’re working to add more options over the next few months. To send us feedback on the new editor, use the form below.
Antes de comenzar
- The editor converts edited .gif files to static .jpg files.
- Image edits are permanent on your site and can't be reverted. Before clicking Save, we recommend backing up the original file on your computer.
- The editor doesn't support transparency in .png files.
- Previewed Getty Images can't be edited until you've licensed them.
- The editor isn’t available for images uploaded to Site Styles.
Where to use the Image Editor
This editor is available for most images on your site, including:
- Image Blocks
- Video Blocks (video thumbnail)
- Gallery Blocks (images and video thumbnails)
- Gallery Pages (images and video thumbnails)
- Cover Pages
- Thumbnail images (pages, posts, events, products, and album artwork)
- Contributor profile pictures
Open the Image Editor
The steps to open the Image Editor depend on where the image is on your site.
Image Blocks and thumbnail images
In the Image Editor, you'll see icons in the top-right corner for each editing menu.
- Click the Adjust or Crop icon to see the editing tools.
- When you're done editing, click Save in the top-left corner. Image edits are permanent on your site and can't be reverted.
Learn more about each editing tool in the sections below.
Brightness, contrast, and saturation
Click the Adjust icon, then use the sliders to adjust the Brightness, Contrast, and Saturation.
To cancel your changes, click Reset.
Crop, flip, and aspect ratio
Click the Crop icon, then use the tools in the sidebar to edit your image.
- Crop - Click an aspect ratio icon to crop using standard dimensions, or click Custom to crop the image manually. Click Original to remove all cropping.
- Flip - Click Flip X to flip the image horizontally or Flip Y to flip it vertically.
- Rotate - Click -90° or 90° to rotate the image 90° to the left or right.
- Straighten - Use the slider under the image to straighten it.
To cancel your changes, click Reset.
Edit images outside of Squarespace
If the Squarespace Image Editor doesn't have the editing options you need, you can use any third-party image editing software before adding images to your site.
Before editing an image in a third-party tool, see formatting tips and specifications in Formatting your images for display on the web.
Here are a few applications you can use. These tools aren't officially endorsed by Squarespace.
Software (desktop editors)
- Acorn (free & paid version) - Mac
- Adobe Illustrator (paid) - Mac and Windows
- Adobe Lightroom (paid) - Mac and Windows
- Adobe Photoshop (family of options from free to paid versions) - Mac and Windows
- Corel PaintShop Photo Pro (paid) - Windows
- Gimp (free) - Mac and Windows
- paint.net (free) - Windows
- PhotoScape (free) - Windows
- Pixelmator (paid) - Mac
Web (online editors)
- PicMonkey (paid and offers many options)
- Pixlr (free and supports some mobile editing options)
- PhotoshopExpress (free but registration required)
We’d like to know what you think about the new Image Editor. To send us your feedback, complete this form. While we review all feedback, we won’t respond individually.