In Squarespace Video Studio, each project you start incorporates a guided process for creating a professional quality video with layers of audio and visual content. Projects start with a goal, and include a template that walks you through every step in the process of video creation.
Work through the steps of a project at your own pace. Your content automatically saves as you make changes.
Start a project
After you download and log into Video Studio using your Squarespace credentials, you can create a project for any site associated with your Squarespace account.
To start a new video project:
- On the Your Videos screen, confirm that the website you want to create a video for appears in the top-left corner of the screen. If not, tap , then tap Site, and select the correct website. Tap Done.
- Tap Create.
- Choose the goal of your video.
- Select your video’s orientation in the top-right corner.
- Review the template options in each category, then tap Select next to the template you want to use. Learn more about choosing a template in the section below.
- Depending on your autofill brand style settings, a pop-up may ask if you want to autofill the project with your branding. Tap Yes or No.
- Follow the guided steps to create content for your video. Learn more in the section below.
Set a goal
You’ll start every new project by setting a goal. The goal is the underlying intention of your video, which determines the style, complexity, and composition of your video content. The goal you choose also affects your template options.
Choose from the following project goals:
- Promote - Highlight a product or service you offer
- Introduce - Give your viewers an inside look into your story and brand
- Update - Check in with your audience and share news updates
- Teach - Explore a topic and share your knowledge and talents
Select a template
The Squarespace Video Studio app offers designer templates for creating videos with effective style and composition to showcase your brand and promote your products. The available template options in each category depend on the goal you chose when first starting the project.
All Video Studio templates include a demo video that previews the types of content you can create. The duration of a video made with that template and an estimate for how much time it'll take to create appears below or beside the demo, depending on your video's orientation. Tap the demo video to reveal more options:
- Tap the expand icon to view the preview in full-screen mode
- Tap the volume icon to hear the example narration and background music
Note: If you’re on a Website Personal plan or your site is on a trial, you’ll have access to four project templates. Upgrade to a Business or Commerce website plan to access all Video Studio templates.
Before you select the right template for your project, tap the drop-down menu in the top-right corner to pick the video’s orientation: Landscape, Portrait, or Square.
Each template is available in all orientations. Select an orientation based on how you expect users to watch your video. If you plan to post your video on TikTok, for example, a portrait video is best.
Tip: After you select a template and start your project, you can’t change the video’s orientation. To create the same video with a different orientation, duplicate your project.
Choose from the following template categories:
- Autofill Templates: Autofill an entire video with product images and details from your online store
- Voice Only Templates: Create videos that only include audio narration over various background images, videos, and text
- On-Camera Templates: Create videos that include sections of video narration, where you or your hired talent appear on camera
Create content in your project
After you select a template, your new project opens with the project title at the top, a demo video in the middle, and the guided steps to create content at the bottom. You can work through your project’s steps in any order, at your own pace. If you’re using an Autofill Template, you can tap the Autofill button under the project title to populate your entire video with Commerce content.
To create your own video content, tap the steps beneath the demo video. This expands the project’s guided steps to fit your screen, then you can tap Add on each step to start creating. If you autofilled your project with Commerce content or worked through a step already, the step’s Add link changes to Edit. Tap Edit to make changes to the content in that step of your video.
To work through your project’s guided steps:
- Under the first step, tap Add. If this is your first time using Video Studio, you’ll need to give the app permission to access images, videos, and audio on your device.
- Follow the prompts to add your own content and style, then tap Done.
- Work through each step, tapping Add and following the prompts. To add or delete sections of content from the project, tap Edit Template.
- After completing each step, tap Preview to watch the video with your custom content.
Tip: The number of steps in your project depends on your template and the type of content you’re creating. Visit Video Studio project steps and sections to learn more about the types of content you can create in Video Studio.
Check your project status
The header above your template’s guided steps changes as you work on your project:
- Steps Left - When you first start a project or return to an unfinished project, the guide header includes the number of steps you have left to complete your project.
- Complete - When you’ve completed the project guide and created content for each section of the template, the guide header changes to Complete and the export icon unlocks.
Rename a project
To change the name of a project:
- On the Your Videos screen, tap the project you want to rename.
- Tap the name of the project, the tap Done.
Duplicate a project
To create a new project with the same style and format as one you’ve already completed, duplicate the completed project, then edit the new project’s content. When you duplicate a project, you can also select a new orientation for the video. With a duplicated video, you can save the exact same video in multiple formats for different social media platforms.
To duplicate a project:
- On the Your Videos screen, tap the project you want to duplicate.
- Tap …, then tap Duplicate.
- Tap the orientation you want for your new project.
- A notification appears confirming the duplication. Tap Open to open the new project.
Export a video
When you start a project, the export icon includes a lock, showing you have steps to complete in the project guide before your video is ready for publication. Complete all the steps in the project to unlock the export icon.
Tap the unlocked export icon to save a completed video to your device or share it externally via Airdrop, Messages, email, or social media. Videos export with the orientation you chose when first selecting a template for your project.
Exported video resolution
You can set the resolution for all exported videos from your account settings:
- On the Your Videos screen, tap .
- Tap Export Quality.
- Tap your preferred resolution, then tap Back.
Share your video on your Squarespace site
After exporting a video project, upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo, then embed it in these areas of your site:
- Videos pages
- Video blocks
- Gallery blocks
- Section backgrounds
Tip: To make your video exclusive to site members, add Member Areas to your site and move the page with your video on it into your gated content.
If your site is on version 7.1, you can upload your video directly to videos pages and section backgrounds, hosting it on Squarespace. To learn more about all your options, visit Adding videos to your site.
Delete a project
To delete a project:
- On the Your Videos screen, tap the project you want to delete.
- Tap …, then tap Delete Project.
- Tap Delete again to permanently delete the project from your account.
You can’t restore a deleted project or the content created in it.