Having subscribers verify that they want to be added to your mailing list reduces the chances that your emails will be marked as spam.
Newsletter Blocks and promotional pop-up subscriptions require verification by email and/or Google reCAPTCHA when using an Email Campaigns mailing list for storage. Other signup areas also use a confirmation email. Use this guide to learn about the two options and where they apply.
To review verification options:
- In the Home Menu, click Marketing, then click Email Campaigns to open the Email Campaigns dashboard.
- Click Settings.
- Click Verification Options.
- Subscribers verify by confirmation email after subscribing on your site (enabled by default)
- Subscribers fill out a Google reCAPTCHA when they subscribe
Verification options aren't available for:
- Checkout newsletter subscribe option
- Addresses added manually to a mailing list
- Imported addresses
If you live in the EU, ensure your verification settings comply with local regulations.
Note: This guide is available as a resource, but should not be construed or relied upon in any way as legal advice. Per our Terms of Service, Squarespace doesn't provide advice or recommendations on any laws or requirements applicable to your site or business.
New subscribers receive an email asking them to confirm their subscription before they're added to an Email Campaigns list.
Confirmation emails are sent to subscribers who sign up with:
- Newsletter Blocks
- Promotional pop-ups
- Scheduling opt-ins (free services only)
- Member Areas signups (free member areas only)
- Cover Page newsletter signups (version 7.0 only)
To disable confirmation emails for Newsletter Blocks or promotional pop-ups, set up Google reCAPTCHA instead. It's not possible to disable the confirmation email for other form types.
The Squarespace Scheduling opt-in is sent to Scheduling clients who sign up for your mailing list when booking free services, not to be confused with the Squarespace Scheduling email clients receive to confirm a booked appointment.
Customize the confirmation email
To customize the confirmation email:
- In the Email Campaigns dashboard, click Settings, then click Verification Options.
- Click Customize Email.
- Customize the email's text and add or rearrange sections. To learn more, visit Building email campaigns.
- Edit the Subject and Email Preview Text. The default subject line uses email personalization to insert your site title automatically, so ensure you edit your subject if you don't want your site title to appear.
- Style the email to fit your brand.
- Click Save.
It's not possible to:
- Add blog or product sections to this email
- Delete the Confirm subscription button
- Select a sender profile. The confirmation email automatically uses the first sender profile you created and verified. If you don't have a verified sender profile, your confirmation email is sent from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Customize the confirmation page that appears after subscribers click the Confirm subscription button
Subscribers see a 404 error when confirming their subscription
Subscribers will see a 404 error message when they click the link in your confirmation email if the mailing list is disconnected from the form's storage area. To fix this, reset the connection:
- In your Newsletter Block, promotional pop-up, or other signup form, click Storage.
- Click Disconnect or X to remove the current storage option.
- Click Connect and select the mailing list from the drop-down menu.
- Click Save to publish your changes.
Subscribers may also see a 404 error message if you have a Squarespace Domain that's pointed away from Squarespace. Ensure your domain is pointed to your Squarespace site or the confirmation link won't work.
Google reCAPTCHA prompts subscribers to complete a task, like checking a box or identifying a string of letters, to prove that they’re not robots.
Google reCAPCTHA is available for:
- Newsletter Blocks
- Promotional pop-ups
You can enable this by adding Google reCAPTCHA API keys in the External API keys panel, or directly in the form. To learn more, visit Adding Google reCAPTCHA to forms.
After enabling, you can disable confirmation emails by switching the Use Google reCAPTCHA toggle on and the Send confirmation email toggle off in the Verification tab for each form. If you want subscribers to verify with both reCAPTCHA and confirmation email, leave Send confirmation email enabled.