In early 2020, Squarespace version 7.1 was launched. If you’ve used Squarespace at any point from 2014 to now, you may be more familiar with Squarespace version 7.0.
Many features are identical in both versions, such as Commerce, Analytics, SEO, and some page types. However, version 7.1 introduces new, streamlined options for adding content and styling your site. This guide covers the major changes and helps you get a sense of what you can do with version 7.1.
In version 7.0, every template is customizable, but there are unique style rules and features built into them. To achieve a different look or use a specific design in this version, you might need to switch templates. Switching templates in version 7.0 involves many steps, including reordering pages and re-adding banner images.
In version 7.1, all sites share the same template, with the same features and style options. The design you select when you create your site in version 7.1 is a starting point. In version 7.1, switching templates isn't available, because you don't need to change your template to achieve a different look or choose different types of pages. You have access to every design feature in the version without having to start over.
If you're an experienced Squarespace user, this is likely one of the biggest improvements you'll notice in the new version.
To change the look of your template in 7.1:
- Change the colors, fonts, and other global styles for your site in the Design panel.
- Add new pages with different pre-built page layouts.
- Create new sections to change a page’s layout. For example, to create a page banner, add a section with a background image at the top of a page.
- Use section styles to override global styles and give individual sections distinct looks.
While many of the style tweaks available in version 7.0 are in version 7.1, they’re organized in new ways so you can make broader changes to your site without having to change every individual tweak separately. For example, if you want to make a dramatic change to your site's fonts, you no longer have to look in Site Styles for every font option on your site.
In 7.1, use the Design panel to set global styles across your site, such as:
- Fine-tuned color options - Use professionally curated options to make changes to your site colors all at once. You can also customize colors individually with advanced options.
- Curated font packs - Use font packs to make changes to your site fonts all at once, or select from a wide array of built-in fonts with advanced options.
- Other site elements - In version 7.1, the Design panel highlights global style panels for buttons, spacing, blog posts, products, and Image Blocks.
- Design options from 7.0 - You’ll also find options to customize your browser icon, lock screen, checkout page, 404 page, social sharing logo, and custom CSS in version 7.1’s Design panel.
To learn more, visit Making style changes.
Pages and content
Adding and editing pages in version 7.1 should feel familiar to experienced 7.0 users. For example, adding and moving blocks works the same way.
In version 7.1, you have more control over your page layouts and style settings with these new features:
- Streamlined page editing - Edit all page content at once, including headers and footers, by clicking Edit in the top-left corner. In version 7.0, footers and headers are edited separately from page content.
- Flexible page layouts with sections - In version 7.1, you can add more content areas to every page using page sections. For example, you can use page sections to create a look similar to stacked Index Pages. You can also use them to add more content to Blog Pages and other collections. In version 7.0, collection pages like Blog Pages have more limited customization options. To learn more, visit Page sections.
- Add banner images to any page - In version 7.1, you can add banner images to any page by creating a section with a background image.
- More header and footer options - All version 7.1 sites have a customizable header and footer. You can add additional footer sections the same way you can with other types of page sections.
- Section styles - For any page section in version 7.1, you can click the pencil icon to edit section-specific style settings. Using section styles, you can make certain sections or pages stand out from the rest of your site, as these settings override the global style settings in your site’s Design panel.
Version 7.1 introduces a new page type: Portfolio Pages. Portfolio Pages create stylized landing pages with links to sub-pages. This is a great way to organize and showcase galleries, projects, portfolio highlights, and other content in one place. For visitors, the effect is similar to grid Index Pages in version 7.0.
To learn more, visit Portfolio Pages.
Where to find features in 7.1
Use the table below for an overview of how features available on version 7.0 have changed in version 7.1, and which features are the same in both versions.
What if a feature isn't in 7.1?
Version 7.1 is still in development, and we're constantly adding and improving features. If a feature isn't available in 7.1, or doesn't have a comparable alternative, it may become available in the future.
|Version 7.0 feature||Version 7.1 differences|
|Analytics||Same as version 7.0.|
|Album Pages||Not in version 7.1. Use Audio Blocks on pages instead.|
|Blocks||Same as version 7.0, except version 7.1 doesn’t support Gallery Blocks in block sections. Use gallery sections instead.|
|Blog Pages, Events Pages, Layout Pages, Store Pages||Same as version 7.0. In version 7.1, you can add additional sections to any page. Version 7.1 also introduces Portfolio Pages.|
|Commerce||Same as version 7.0.|
|Cover Pages||Not in version 7.1. Achieve an effect similar to Cover Pages by adding pages with only one section.|
|Developer Platform||Currently unsupported.|
|Gallery Pages||Not in version 7.1. Use gallery sections instead.|
|Importing and exporting content||Same as version 7.0, except version 7.1 doesn't support importing from Squarespace 5.|
|Index Pages||Not in version 7.1. Achieve a look similar to stacked Index Pages with page sections. Achieve a look similar to grid Index Pages with Portfolio Pages.|
|Marketing features||Same as version 7.0.|
|Mobile style settings||Version 7.1 sites adapt to mobile devices and smaller browser windows automatically, without separate mobile style options.|
|SEO features||Same as version 7.0.|
|Settings panel||Same as version 7.0.|
|Site Styles||Version 7.1 introduces a new Design panel with global style sections, font packs, and color palettes. You can also style page sections individually.|
|Templates and template switching||
Unsupported. Version 7.1 sites share all the same features and options, so you aren't limited by your template choice.