Facebook Dynamic Ads help you target customers by promoting products in your inventory relevant to their interests. Facebook Dynamic Ads uses the Facebook Pixel to track visitors’ activity, and based on its insights, automatically shows them personalized ads for your products they're more likely to purchase. In this guide, we'll show you how to upload your products to Facebook Business Manager and get started with Dynamic Ads.
This integration with Facebook Dynamic Ads can help you:
- Automatically promote products to people who’ve expressed interest in your store.
- Show people products tailored to their interests, even if they haven’t visited your site.
- Retarget customers who left your site without making a purchase, reminding them of the product they viewed.
Facebook Dynamic Ads are available in the Commerce Basic and Commerce Advanced plans.
What you'll need
On Facebook, you’ll need:
On your Squarespace site, you’ll need:
- A Squarespace site selling physical products (digital and service products aren’t supported). Ensure that each product includes an image, name, and description, or it won't import. The image should be a minimum of 500px × 500px.
- A site title, even if your site uses a logo. This will appear as your Brand in Facebook Business Manager.
- A Facebook Pixel.
- To ensure your products follow Facebook’s Commerce policies.
- To remove your site-wide password, if your site has one. Facebook can’t create your product catalog while this is enabled.
Dynamic Ads and other marketing tools
- The product catalog for Facebook Dynamic Ads is separate from tagging products on Instagram. If you’ve set up the integration with Instagram Shopping, still follow all steps in this guide to create another catalog for Facebook. This won’t affect your products on Instagram.
- If you're using the Ad Tracker, you can still create Facebook ads for your products. The Ad Tracker tracks traffic to a specific page of your site from an ad, while this process tracks traffic and sales of specific products from an ad.
Facebook Business Manager falls outside the scope of our support. While this guide walks you though the steps to set up Dynamic Ads in Facebook Business Manager, we’re unable to help further with setup, troubleshooting, or the process of creating an ad account. For help, visit Facebook’s Help Center.
Step 1 - Add your Facebook Page to your Facebook Business Manager
To add your Facebook page:
- In your Facebook Business Manager account, click Business Settings.
- Under Accounts, click Pages.
- Click + Add.
- To add an existing Facebook Page, click Add a Page. To create a new page, click Create a New Page.
- Follow Facebook Business Manager’s prompts to complete the process.
Step 2 - Create a product catalog in Facebook Business Manager
To create a catalog:
- In your Facebook Business Manager account, click the ☰ icon in the top-left corner.
- Under Assets, click Catalogs.
- Click Create Catalog.
- Select E-commerce, then click Next.
- Select Upload Product info as the method for adding products to your catalog.
- Under Catalog owner, choose the Facebook Page your catalog will belong to.
- Under Catalog name, enter a name for this catalog.
- Click Create.
- You'll see a Diagnostics page with recommendations for your catalog. Ignore these recommendations for now, and click Products at the top of the page.
Note: If you see an Add Your Products page at this point, click the select another upload method link at the top of the screen instead.
Step 3 - Import inventory to Facebook Business Manager
To add your products to your Facebook Business Manager catalog, import them using your Facebook data feed. Facebook will use this feed to regularly check your site for new products.
Note: Facebook imports all published physical products on all pages of your site, including any Products Pages in the Not Linked section of your site.
To import your inventory, follow these steps:
- In the Products tab, click Add Products.
- Select Use Data Feeds, then click Next.
- Select Set a Schedule. This lets Facebook consistently check your site for new products.
- In a new window, log into your Squarespace site.
- In the Home Menu, click Marketing, then click Facebook Pixel & Ads.
- Copy the Product Feed URL.
- Go back to your Facebook Business Manager, and scroll down to Add Data Feed URL. You don't need to enter login details for your data feed.
- Paste the URL you copied from your Squarespace site.
- Set a schedule for automatic uploads, change the default data feed name (optional), and select a default currency.
- Click Start Upload.
- When it finishes, click Done.
To check your upload, click the Product Data Sources tab and review the Status column. To see details on the import, including why some products may have been rejected, click the URL under Data Source Name.
Note: If you see a blank google_product_category column in your Data Source summary, or if you get an email about this error, you can ignore it. Squarespace doesn’t provide these categories, but this won’t affect your ability to create ads.
Step 4 - Connect your Facebook pixel
Connect a catalog to your pixel to track more specific site interactions and create dynamic ads to target customers.
- In your Catalog Manager, click the catalog where you’d like to add tracking.
- Click the Events Data Sources tab, then click Connect to Tracking.
- Select your site’s Facebook pixel.
- Click Done.
Step 5 - Choose or create an ad account
- In your Facebook Business Manager, click Business Settings.
- In the left panel, expand the Accounts option, then click Ad Accounts.
- Select an existing ad account, or click + Add to create a new ad account.
- In the right panel of the Ad Account, click Add People to assign other users to the account.
To learn more about creating an ad account and assigning roles, visit Facebook’s documentation.
Step 6 - Create a new Facebook ad campaign
Create a campaign to advertise your products on Facebook.
Note: The steps in this guide use Facebook’s Guided Creation. Learn about the differences between Guided Creation and Quick Creation in Facebook’s documentation.
- In your Facebook Ads Manager, click Campaigns, then click + Create.
- Under Conversion, select Catalog Sales.
- Under Catalog Sales, name your ad campaign and select your catalog from the Catalog drop-down.
- Click Set Up Ad Account.
- Review your account information, then click Continue.
Step 7 - Set your ad options & styles
Review all options for your ad, including your audience, where your ad will appear, and how much you’d like to pay for the campaign.
After confirming these, use the format and content tools to style your ad.
For full steps and details about each option, visit the Facebook Dynamic Ads Help Center.
Note: Squarespace’s data feed URL doesn’t support Item Categories for the Carousel or Collection templates. This won’t affect your ability to create ads. To learn more about formatting options, visit Facebook’s steps for creating a dynamic ad.
After setting up an ad campaign, you can track progress in your Facebook Ads Manager, and visit Traffic Sources to measure success and track conversion within Squarespace.