Your site navigation is a menu of links visitors use to explore your content. It’s often the first thing visitors interact with when they arrive at your site. All sites have at least one navigation, and some have multiple; the number of navigations you have and where they display depends on your template. Your navigation can link to pages on your site, pages on other sites, files, and filtered content.
Where your navigation displays on your site varies by template:
- The Main Navigation typically displays at the top of the page. In some templates it displays in a sidebar or footer. To learn about your template, visit Styling navigation.
- If your template supports it, the Secondary Navigation typically displays at the bottom of the page, and sometimes with the Main Navigation. Your template might also have a footer navigation, which always displays at the bottom of the page. To learn about how these navigation areas display on your template, visit Secondary and Footer Navigation.
Building your navigation
To add to your site navigation:
- In the Home Menu click Pages.
- Click the + icon beside Main or Secondary Navigation.
- In the Create New Page menu, select the type of page you want to add.
You can add a new or existing page, link to a file, build a drop-down menu, or link to external content:
- Add a new page - Visit Adding pages to your navigation.
- Add an existing page - See Adding existing content to your navigation.
- Add an external link - Visit Adding external links to your navigation.
- Build a drop-down menu - Visit Adding a drop-down menu to your navigation.
- Link to a tag or category - Visit Adding a navigation link for a category or tag.
Tip: As you start building your site, you’ll see demo content in your template’s navigation areas. To replace the demo content with your own links, visit Working with demo content.
Hiding or removing navigation links
Tip: To password-protect a page, visit Using page passwords.
The navigation you build on desktop also displays on mobile. The way your navigation menu displays on mobile depends on your template.
Once your navigation structure is in place, you can change its style and add more information about your site or business:
- Rearrange your navigation links by moving pages around the Pages panel.
- Change your navigation’s appearance in the Style Editor.
- Create an about page to share your story with customers.
- Create a contact page to help visitors email you with questions.
- Add a page with search to your navigation to let visitors find content by keywords.