With the Squarespace Start App, you can create and edit a one-page website using your mobile device. Using the Start App is a similar experience to building a Cover Page on a desktop, simplified for mobile.
Note: The Start App is discontinued and can no longer be installed. If you've already installed the Start App, you can keep using it on your device.
Who should use the Start App
The app is ideal for new and long-time Squarespace customers alike. If you're new to Squarespace, the app is great for learning the basics and getting a feel for what it's like to build a Squarespace website. If you have a Squarespace account, use the app to build a new one-page website, or view and edit existing standalone Cover Pages.
Note: The app doesn't support multi-page websites or stores. To edit a multi-page site, or a Cover Page connected to one, log into your site on a desktop.
- Each website starts with a 14-day free trial. During this time, your page is online, but it's hidden behind a CAPTCHA and not indexed by search engines.
- After 14 days, you can upgrade to paid service.
- Pay monthly for $7/month, or annually for $60/year.
- After upgrading to paid service, you can purchase a Squarespace Domain to further customize your site.
Supported operating systems
- The Start App for Android requires Android version 4.4 (KitKat) or later.
- The Start App for iOS requires iOS version 9.0 or higher and works with iPhone (iPhone 5S and later) and iPod Touch (6th Generation).
The Start App vs. Cover Pages
With the Start App, you can create a one-page website with a similar design and function as a Cover Page. The app has exclusive features, such as the ability to upload a background image from your camera and apply a preset color filter.
When you log into your one-page website on a desktop, it has the functionality of a Cover Page, including access to more layouts and style tweaks. When you upgrade to paid service, your one-page website is on the Cover Page plan.
Some features aren’t supported in the app, such as background videos and some layouts. If you have a one-page website in your account with unsupported features, the site will have a "Desktop Only" banner in the app. To edit these sites, log into your site on a desktop.
Note: Video layouts and forms aren't supported in the iOS app.
- After opening the Start app, watch the introduction video and follow the prompts to log into your account or start a new one. For help logging in, visit I can't log in.
- Once you're logged in, you’ll see the main menu. If you already have one-page websites in your account, you'll see preview thumbnails of your existing sites.
- To create a new site, tap the square with the +. To view an existing site, tap the preview thumbnail.
- If you have questions about using the app, tap the in your site menu. Tap Help to browse guides or tap Contact Customer Care to open a ticket.