If you're new to Squarespace, this guide answers common questions about the platform, the services we offer, and how to get started.
What is Squarespace?
Squarespace is a way to build websites. For an annual or monthly subscription, we provide access to a set of tools you can use to design your own site—no coding or web development experience required.
What does a Squarespace subscription include?
Squarespace is an all-in-one content management system, or CMS. With a single subscription, you can create a website, host your content, register domains, sell products, and much more.
Every full Squarespace subscription includes:
- Website building tools - Use our drag-and-drop tools to add content, like text and images, and create a website without directly editing code. Start with any template to create pages and organize your site, then customize it to match your own style.
- Content hosting - All Squarespace content is stored on our robust infrastructure. This ensures your site will load quickly and reliably from anywhere in the world.
- Search engine optimization - Squarespace automatically generates sitemaps, uses clean HTML markup, and uses automatic tagging so search engines can index your content without plugins or extra fees.
- Squarespace Analytics - Explore your site’s analytics to understand traffic patterns, referral sources, and other key metrics. Connect with Google Analytics through our built-in integration to learn even more.
- Responsive design for mobile viewing - Responsive design comes standard on every Squarespace site, ensuring your content looks great on any device.
- 24/7 Customer Support - Advisors are available at any time, 365 days a year, to answer your questions.
You can add these other features:
- Custom domain name - Register domains through Squarespace from over 200+ TLDs. Get a free domain for a year with an annual website subscription, or transfer a domain you already own.
- Email by Google Workspace - Get your own email address, like email@example.com, by registering for Google Workspace through Squarespace.
- Email Campaigns - Create on-brand emails, build mailing lists, and send blast or automated campaigns to your subscribers with our integrated Email Campaigns feature.
- Advanced Commerce features - Certain advanced features, like Abandoned Checkout Recovery and Commerce Analytics, are exclusive to the Commerce Advanced plan.
- Stock images - Add free and premium stock images through our partnerships with Unsplash and Getty Images. This is a great way to use editorial and stock photography to your site if you don't have images of your own.
For a full list of features, visit our feature index and explore this Help Center for guides on Squarespace's many features.
Is Squarespace right for me?
Everyone has unique needs for their website, so there’s one way to know if Squarespace is right for you: try it!
We offer a free 14-day trial so you can explore our platform, begin building a site, and decide if you're ready to subscribe to Squarespace. If you're still not sure or if you need more time, you can extend it or start again later. Learn more about trials.
For a visual preview before signing up, or to make the most of your trial, we recommend these resources:
- Watch short Help videos.
- Sign up for a live expert-led webinar.
- Explore at your own pace using the guides in this Help Center.
With over a million sites and counting, creative professionals, bloggers, wedding-planning couples, small town restaurants, and professional merchants all call Squarespace home. Whatever your idea or needs, we offer multiple plans so you can get the features you need.
How much does Squarespace cost?
If you're a student or faculty member of a partnering school, you may be eligible for our Squarespace Education Program.
Tip: If you're building a nonprofit site, enter NONPROFIT at checkout to receive 10% off your first payment. For help, visit Redeeming an offer code for Squarespace.
How do I get started?
We understand that creating a website takes time and everyone's schedule is different. You don't need to build your whole site, start to finish, during your trial. You can subscribe to paid service any time, and if you're not ready to publish, keep your site private until you want to publish it.
Alternatively, if you want to claim a URL but aren't ready to start a site, you can start with a domain.
Which template should I use?
On the current Squarespace platform, version 7.1, all sites use the same template, with the same features and style options. The design you choose when you start your trial is a starting point, but it doesn't limit the designs or layouts you can create.
Explore the template store to find a design that fits your vision. We recommend paying more attention to the structure and style rather than its example content. The demo content is there for inspiration, but you can customize it to meet your needs.
Remember, if you decide you want to change the design of your site later, you can always rebuild it using pages, page sections, blocks, and style settings.
Can I move to Squarespace from another platform?
Absolutely. If you already own your domain or have a site hosted by another provider, you can move to Squarespace using these options:
- If you already own a domain - You can transfer your domain to Squarespace.
- If you already have a website - If you have a site with WordPress, Blogger, or Tumblr, you can import your blog content to Squarespace. Otherwise, since Squarespace is its own distinct platform, you'll need to rebuild your site using our templates and tools.
- If you already have an online store - If you have an online store with Shopify, Big Cartel, or Etsy, or can prepare a list of products in a .csv, you can import your products to Squarespace, then build your site using our templates and tools.
Since moving between website platforms can affect how search engines view your site, we recommend following these best practices to protect your search ranking during your transition.
Can someone build my site for me?
Yes. While Squarespace is great for a DIY approach, many web designers specialize in building Squarespace sites for clients. To hire a Squarespace Expert, visit Squarespace Marketplace.
As a note, we're unable to mediate arrangements between Experts and clients. If you're building a site yourself, we're here to help.
Can I use Squarespace in my country?
Squarespace is based in the United States and available internationally. However, there are some limits at this time. Our Commerce features require connecting a supported payment processor, Stripe or PayPal. For more on international support, visit Supported countries and currencies for Squarespace Commerce.
We offer registration for a few country code TLDs (ccTLDs). To check if your country's TLD can be registered through Squarespace, visit our Domain TLD price list. If we don't currently offer your ccTLD, you can connect the domain if it's hosted by another provider.
When is my site live?
Your site is live whenever you set it as Public in your Site Availability settings. Until you’re ready to publish, you can keep your site private or add a site-wide password to only allow certain visitors. You can make a site public after upgrading to paid service.
How do I get .squarespace.com out of my URL?
All Squarespace sites include a built-in domain URL that ends in .squarespace.com. To use a custom domain instead, you can:
When you have a custom domain, like www.yourdomain.com, visitors will always see your primary domain URL in their browser bar unless they specifically visit your built-in .squarespace.com URL.
For security purposes, you'll always see your built-in domain in your browser address bar when you're logged in, even if you have a custom domain.
If you're ready to give Squarespace a try, sign up for a free trial. To learn more before getting started, visit these resources:
- The Pages panel
- Understanding Squarespace Commerce
- Commerce FAQ
- Can Squarespace support my high-traffic site?
- Extending your trial
Have specific questions?
If you want to chat with us about your website needs, we're here to help 24/7. When you contact us, you’ll always talk to real, friendly humans. We're experts in the Squarespace platform and can help you decide if Squarespace is the right choice for you.