Montauk, Julia, Kent, and Om share the same underlying structure and functionality. This guide applies to all these templates.
The Index Page for Montauk, Julia, Kent, and Om organizes page thumbnails into a grid to create visual navigation. Many people use it as a homepage.
The Index Page supports these page types:
- Regular Pages
- Gallery Pages
- Blog Pages
- Event Pages
- Products Pages
- Album Pages
Set up the Index Page
- From the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Click the + icon and then click Index.
- In the Index that appears, click + Add Page to add a new page, or drag an existing page into the Index.
- Ensure each page has a page thumbnail.
Each page you add to the Index will create its own thumbnail tile within the Index Page. The page title displays as text below each thumbnail. Rearrange the page order in the Pages panel to rearrange the thumbnail order.
For detailed steps, visit Using the Index Page.
Style the Index Page
Use the tweaks in the Index Styles section of the Style Editor to adjust the look and feel of your Index Page, including:
- Index Thumb Title Color - Adjust the color of the page titles that display below the thumbnails.
- Thumbnails Per Row - Choose how many thumbnails display in each row.
- Thumbnail ratio - Adjust the height of the thumbnail images.
- Thumbnail Opacity - Adjust how much of the background color shows through.
- Thumbnail Hover Opacity - Choose how much the thumbnail fades when a visitor hovers over it.
Gallery and Regular Pages
Regular Pages and Gallery Pages have special formatting when opened through an Index.
- The top of the Gallery Page or Regular Page displays at the top of the browser, rather than the site header. This places emphasis on your page content. Visitors can scroll up to see the site header.
- Thumbnails for all other pages in the Index display at the bottom of the page along with navigation elements.
- If your Regular Page has a page banner, it won't display when the page is opened from an Index Page. If your Index Page has a banner, that banner will display above the Regular Page. If your Index Page doesn't have a banner, nothing will display. When you view the Regular Page outside the Index—for example, when you go directly to the URL for that page—the Regular Page's banner will display.
Note: Regular Pages or Gallery Pages that have a password will open in a new page.
Blog, Event, and Products Pages
Blog Pages, Event Pages, and Products Pages display as thumbnails on the Index Page, but open to their own pages, without the Index thumbnails and navigation elements below.
Index Pages and banners
You can display a banner image or video with overlay text at the top of your Index Page, above the navigation grid.
The Index's navigation grid only displays thumbnail images. That means even if a page in your Index has a video banner, its thumbnail image will display within the Index grid.
When you open a Regular Page from within the Index, the Regular Page's banner doesn't display. If the Index Page has a banner, that banner will display above the Regular Page's content.
Events and Blog Pages opened from the Index always display their own banners.
On mobile, Index Pages always display one thumbnail per row.
Note: For general information about styling your site, visit Structure and style.
Showcase your videos and images with a stacked Gallery Page.