This guide walks you through Galapagos’s options for adjusting the look and feel of your site using Site Styles.
This is a supplement to the guide Making style changes, which we suggest you read first if you're new to Squarespace.
Tip: In the Home Menu, click Design, then Site Styles. To access tweaks specific to a page, navigate to Site Styles when on that specific page.
The Galapagos template supports these page types:
- Products - Style your store with a customizable grid, Quick View, Product Image Zoom, and on-hover effects.
- Blog - The list-style Blog Page stacks posts vertically.
- Regular Page - A blank page you can customize with blocks.
- Album - Create a page with playable music tracks and cover art.
- Events - Create a calendar or list of events.
- Gallery - Style the gallery as a slideshow or grid.
- Cover Page - A unique landing page styled separately from your template.
Galapagos features two navigation areas: Main Navigation at the top and Footer Navigation at the bottom in the footer. Adjust which pages display as navigation links in the Pages panel. To learn how, visit Adding pages to your navigation.
Use the tweaks in the Navigation section of Site Styles to adjust the color and font of the links in both navigation areas.
- For the header, the navigation link color is automatically set to black or white based on the Nav Accent Color.
- For the footer, the navigation links are set by the Nav Link Color tweak.
Use the Nav Style tweak to select a style for the Main Navigation (Simple, Box, Line, Tag, Full Background, or Top Border). Experiment with the different styles until you find one you like.
- The Box and Line tweaks follow the Nav Link Color.
- The Full Background and Tag tweaks use the background color set in Nav Accent Color.
Add drop-down menus to either navigation area with folders.
- Folder menus open on hover.
- Enable or disable the + symbol with the Hide Folder Indicators tweak.
- For the header, the menu's background is set by the site Background Color. The folder links follow the Nav Link Color.
- For the footer, the menu's background is set by the Nav Link Color. The folder links follow the site Background Color.
Site title and tag line
The site title and tag line display at the top-center of your site, below the Main Navigation. Adjust the text for either of these in the Logo & Title panel. You can also replace the site title with a logo.
Note: If you’ve replaced your site title with a logo in desktop view, it will still display the site title in mobile by default. To learn how to upload a mobile logo, visit Galapagos mobile styles.
Use the Header section of Site Styles to adjust the color and font of the site title and tag line, the width of the logo, and the header spacing.
Use the Background Color tweak in the Site Wide section of Site Styles to change the background color of your site.
Check Tint Page Background to slightly darken the main content area of certain pages on your site. The tint adjusts the background color and distinguishes the main content area from the header and footer.
Tip: The background tint is most noticeable over light, bright colors.
The tint doesn’t appear on these pages:
- Product Pages
- Gallery Pages
On these pages, or if you’ve unchecked Tint Page Background, the footer will be tinted instead.
The footer on Galapagos is split into left and right content areas, which display above the Footer Navigation.
Regular Page width
On Regular Pages, use the Page Width tweak in the Site Wide section of Site Styles to adjust the width of all page content.
Use the Heading and Body Text tweaks in the Site Wide section of Site Styles to style the text for your site’s main content area.
Check the Custom Headings tweak to style Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3 independently.
Galapagos doesn't support built-in social icons. Instead, add a Social Links Block to the footer or to your page content.
Because Squarespace templates are built with responsive design, your site adjusts on mobile devices to better fit the format of that device. You can use Device View to see how your site looks on different devices.
To learn about Galapagos’s style options for mobile display, visit Galapagos mobile styles.
Galapagos supports a sidebar on Blog Pages.
Set up your online shop.