In this guide, you’ll learn how to add new blocks to content areas, such as Layout Pages or blog posts. Blocks create custom layouts of text, images, videos, forms, and other content.
Visit About blocks for a list of blocks you can add to your site.
Some blocks are Premium features, available on the Business and Commerce plans.
Watch a video
Where to add blocks
You can add blocks to:
- Layout Pages
- Blog posts
- Event descriptions
- Product additional information
- Page headers and footers
- Block sections
In version 7.0, it’s not possible to add blocks to:
- Gallery Pages
- Cover Pages
- Product Pages
- Events Pages
- Album Pages
- Index Pages
- Site-wide headers in most templates
- Banners in most templates
In version 7.1, it’s not possible to add blocks to gallery or collection sections, or to the header.
Note: The Squarespace App doesn't currently support all blocks, but we plan to add more in future versions.
Add blocks to a page
How you add blocks on a computer depends on which version of Squarespace your site is on. The Squarespace App only supports version 7.0.
To add a block:
- In the Home Menu, click Pages.
- Select the page you want to edit and click Edit in the top-left corner.
- Hover over the section where you want to add the block and click an insert point.
- In the menu, select a block. You can also search for blocks at the top of the menu.
- The new block will appear on the page. Depending on the block, an editor may open where you can customize it.
- In the Home Menu, click Pages. (If you don't see the Pages panel, collapse the site preview by clicking the arrow in the top-left corner of your site.)
- In the Pages panel, select the page you want to edit or add a new page.
- Hover over the area where you're adding a block, and click Edit.
Note: If you’re working with a blank Layout Page, you'll see a message that reads “This page is empty. Start editing and add content blocks.” This message only appears to you until you add blocks to the page. To visitors, the page will be blank without any text.
- Click the + button or an insert point to open the block menu.
- In the menu, click a block to select it. You can also search at the top of the menu with words like image, text, or form.
- The new block will appear on the page with placeholder content. Depending on the block, an editor will open where you can customize it.
Drag and drop
You can also drag and drop a block if you know where you want to place it on the page:
- Drag a block from the menu.
- Guidelines and gray boxes will appear to show where you can place the block.
- Drop the block to place it on the page. Depending on the block, an editor may open where you can customize it.
Insert points are marks in page or post editors that show where you can add blocks. This method is helpful if you’d like to choose the block’s placement before adding it.
In an empty blocks area:
- Hover over the placeholder Text Block.
- You’ll see two insert points to the left of the existing Text Block.
- As you hover over an insert point, you'll see guidelines showing where a new block can be placed. You can move the block later.
- Click an insert point and select a block.
If the area already has blocks:
- Hover to the left or right of any block.
- Click an insert point to add a new block.
Add blocks to other areas
To learn about adding blocks to other areas, like footers or products, see our other guides:
- Blogging with Squarespace
- Editing footers
- Editing sidebars
- Adding additional information to products
Banners and headers
In most templates, it's not possible to add blocks to a banner or header.
- Change your site title and tagline in the Logo & Title panel (or in the heading editor in version 7.1).
- Change your navigation links in page settings.
- Most banners support overlay text.
You can add blocks to the site-wide header in these template families:
- Montauk - Add blocks in the header when the Header Subtitle: Custom tweak is selected.
- Skye - Add blocks in the navigation overlay.
- Wells - Add blocks in the content area of the navigation sidebar.
- Some templates have page headers that support blocks. For example, in the Brine family, you can add blocks to the intro area that displays over page banners.
Why can’t I find the + buttons or insert points?
First, ensure that you’re editing an area where you can add blocks. See the list above.
Next, ensure an editor is open. To open an editor:
- In version 7.0, hover over where you want to add the block, and then click Edit.
- In version 7.1, click Edit in the top-left corner of the page where you want to add the block.
- In the Squarespace App, tap Edit or the pencil icon in the top-right corner.
Now that you've added a block, you can:
- Move blocks around the page to create your layout
- Create columns and rows
- Resize blocks
- Delete the block
Visit the guide for your block to learn about its styling and editing options.