This guide explains some of the most common issues that arise when using the Five template.
How do I remove the sidebar or sidebars?
Open the Page Settings in the Pages panel by clicking the for that page. In the Page Layout drop-down menu, choose Full Width to hide all sidebars.
There’s a big blank space above the page content on mobile, but the site looks normal on desktop.
This can happen if you remove page banners by setting the Banner Area Height tweak to 0px in the Header section of the Style Editor. Squarespace templates are built with responsive design to make your site mobile-friendly and easier to navigate. In the mobile view for Five, the banner displays by default. If no banner image has been set for the page, it displays as a blank space.
If you want to remove the banner space in mobile as much as possible without using custom code, here’s one method:
- Go to the Header section of the Style Editor.
- Select Banner Content: Page Title Description.
- Uncheck Page Thumbnail as Banner.
- Open the Page Title and Site Tagline tweaks and set the font size to 8px.
- Set the Page Title Color and Site Tagline Color to transparent.
- Set the Header Background and Banner Overlay Color to transparent.
- Reduce Banner Area Spacing to 0px.
Page banner videos
Video banners won't display on mobile. Set a mobile fallback image to display in place of the banner video on mobile.
I can't add lowercase letters to Image Block captions.
Captions added to Image Blocks on the Five template will always be capitalized. As Five captions are fairly small by default, this helps make the captions more visible.
My background image isn't fixed on mobile
Many mobile browsers, including IOS, don't support fixed background images. To achieve a similar effect, experiment with the Size: Cover and Size: Contain background image style options. Note that background image style settings apply to both mobile and desktop.
For more help, visit our responsive design troubleshooting tips.
My sidebar content shows up in search results
Content in your sidebars will appear in search results, even if the sidebars are hidden. To remove the content from your site, temporarily enable your sidebars.
To do this without affecting your live site:
- Go to the Pages panel.
- In the Not Linked section, use the + icon to create a new, blank Regular Page.
- Open the Page's Settings by clicking the .
- Use the Page Layout drop-down to select Two Sidebars.
- Click Save.
- Use the page editor to delete the content from the sidebars. This will affect all sidebars on your site.
- Click Save.
- Click the to re-open the Page Settings and delete the page.
I can't change my Newsletter Block header color
In the Five template's Style Editor, the Heading Color tweak in the Newsletter Block section isn't active. Instead:
- In the Style Editor, scroll up to the Main Content section.
- Use the Heading 2 Color tweak to set the color. This will affect all Header 2 text on your site.