This guide walks you through the options for adjusting the look and feel of your Wells site. These options are available in Site Styles.
This is a supplement to the guide Making style changes, which we suggest you read first if you're new to Squarespace.
Tip: In the Home Menu, click Design, then Site Styles. To access tweaks specific to a page, navigate to Site Styles when on that specific page.
The Wells template supports these page types:
- Gallery - Display your images and videos in slideshow or thumbnail view.
- Blog - The list-style Blog Page stacks posts vertically.
- Layout Page - An open page you can customize with blocks.
- Album - Create a page with playable music tracks and cover art.
- Events - Create a calendar or list of events.
- Products (Classic) - Sell goods and services with our integrated Commerce features.
- Cover Page - A unique landing page styled separately from your template.
Wells features a navigation sidebar on all pages. The sidebar can contain:
- Your site title and tag line
- Main Navigation and Secondary Navigation
- A customizable content area
- Built-in social icons
- Gallery Page navigation
Use the tweaks in the Sidebar Options section of Site Styles to adjust its width and position.
Sidebar Text Alignment aligns the navigation links (left, right, or center).
When Sidebar Fixed is checked, the navigation links stay fixed in place. When unchecked, the sidebar moves up the page as you scroll:
Wells supports an additional customizable sidebar on Blog Pages. To learn more, visit the Blog section of the Wells pages and content guide.
Site title and tag line
The site title and tag line display at the top of the sidebar.
- The tweaks in the Site Title / Logo Options section of Site Styles adjust the style of these elements.
- Subtitle tweaks affect the tag line.
The sidebar in Wells displays both Main Navigation and Secondary Navigation. The Main Navigation links are by default larger and bolder than Secondary Navigation links.
Use the Site Navigation Options section of Site Styles to style the font, size, and color of the navigation links. The Active and Hover color tweaks affect both Main Navigation and Secondary Navigation.
Add drop-down menus to the navigation with folders.
Sidebar content area
To add text, images, and more to your sidebar, hover over the area below the navigation until the Header Content annotation appears, then click Edit. Add content with blocks.
Note: The content area doesn't display on mobile.
Use the Site Background tweak in the Site Wide Options section of Site Styles to change the background color of your site. Wells doesn’t support background images.
Wells has built-in social icons. Uncheck Hide Social Icons in the Social Link Options section of Site Styles to display them in the sidebar. Use the other tweaks in that section to adjust their size and style.
Wells doesn't offer a footer. For a list of templates with footers, visit Editing footers.
Use the tweaks in the Site Wide Options section of Site Styles to adjust the font, size, and color of the headers, body text, and body text links throughout your site. The Headings tweaks adjust all text set as Heading 1, Heading 2, or Heading 3.
Because Squarespace templates are built with responsive design, your site adjusts on mobile devices to better fit the format of that device. You can use Device View to see how your site looks on different devices.
Note: You can disable mobile styles.
Select Mobile Site Title Style: Manual in the Site Title / Logo Options section of Site Styles to customize the font and size of the site title in mobile view.
Logos remain visible on mobile. Use the Mobile Logo Image Size tweak to adjust the size.
Sidebar content displays beneath page content on mobile.
On mobile devices, a Menu link appears in the top-right corner.
- When you tap the menu link, an overlay with your navigation links appears.
- The overlay background color matches the Navigation (Active) Color.
- The navigation links match the Site Background color.
- The sidebar content area doesn't display.
- The Menu link always displays on mobile, even if the Main and Secondary Navigations are empty.
Showcase your videos and images with an interactive Gallery Page.