Upload or embed a video file visitors can view directly on your site.
Use a video block to add a single video to a page on your site. You can upload a video directly, or add a video hosted with YouTube or Vimeo. For more options for adding video to your site, visit Adding videos to your site.
Watch a video
Add a video block
To add a video block:
- Edit a page or post, click Add block or an insert point, then click Video. For help, visit Adding content with blocks.
- Open the block editor by clicking the pencil icon on the block.
- Add a video by uploading a file or pasting a URL.
- Add a custom featured image.
- Add a video caption.
- Click outside the block editor when you're done. Your changes save automatically.
Upload a video
You can upload a single video file of up to 30 minutes to a video block. Before uploading, keep in mind:
- You can upload up to 30 minutes of high-resolution video directly to your Squarespace site for free. For more storage space, subscribe to Digital Products.
- Uploaded video files need to meet our video file requirements.
- Videos display in a player that has a 16:9 aspect ratio, so black bars or blank space will display on the side of videos with other aspect ratios.
- If your uploaded video receives an extremely large number of views over a short time, we may not continue to support it. In such cases, we'll contact you directly to discuss the best hosting options for you.
To upload a video:
- In the block editor, click or tap +. If the block editor isn't open, click the pencil icon in the block's toolbar.
- Select Upload file. To reuse a video you've uploaded previously on your site, choose Select from library.
- Select the file you want to use. If you uploaded a new file, wait for it to finish uploading.
Add a video URL
Add videos hosted on YouTube or Vimeo to the video block by using your video's URL. For videos hosted on Animoto, Wistia, or to use advanced playback options for any video host like video playlists, use an embed block. If you're not sure which block to use, visit Choosing the right video embed option.
It's not possible to add a video playlist to a video block.
Note: The video block previously supported embedding videos and video playlists with code. Video blocks using that method were automatically migrated to the embed block.
- Find the video you want to use in a separate tab of your web browser.
- Copy the URL from your browser's address bar or the Share area, depending on your video host.
- In the block editor, click + and select Add from link.
- Paste the URL into the Video URL field. Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + V (or ⌘ + V on a Mac) to paste.
- Click Add.
- Find the video you want to use in a web browser.
- Copy the URL for your video from your browser's address bar or the Share area, depending on your video host.
- Return to the Squarespace app and tap + in the block editor, then Add from link.
- In the window that appears, paste the URL in the text field and tap Add.
Delete an uploaded video
Deleting an uploaded video from a video block doesn't delete it from your site completely. Its video file remains in your Asset library for you to reuse elsewhere in your site.
To delete the video file from your site entirely and free up storage space, visit Managing and reusing images and videos.
Add a custom featured image
After a video has finished loading, you can add its featured image. The image displays over the video on your site before the video is played.
Keep in mind:
- The featured image automatically crops to the aspect ratio of the video block container (16:9). For videos added via URL, the aspect ratio matches the thumbnail image from the video hosting service (usually 16:9).
- The image hides the title of the video.
- The image becomes a play button on computers. For YouTube, click the image once to show the video player, then click again to play the video.
- The image won't display for videos set to autoplay.
- On mobile devices, tap the video to show the image, then again to play the video.
To add a featured image:
- In the block editor, switch the Custom featured image toggle on
- Click or tap + to upload an image, reuse an image you've already uploaded, or use a stock image (computer only).
Customize video settings
After an uploaded video loads, you can customize these settings in the block editor:
- Mute video - The video plays without sound.
- Autoplay - The video begins playing as soon as the page loads. To enable Autoplay, you must first enable Mute video.
- Loop - When the video ends, it automatically starts playing from the beginning.
- Player controls - Select All, Minimal, or None to customize how many of the player controls display.
Note: Video playback settings are only customizable for uploaded videos. To use advanced playback options for other video hosts, use an embed block.
Add a video description
To add a video caption in the Description field of the block editor, click or tap Add description here... and type your description.
Some video services automatically populate this field when you add a video via URL. You can edit this text at any time, but it won't display until you add a video.
To troubleshoot issues with video blocks, visit Adding videos to your Squarespace site.