Add external media content to your site with embed codes.
Use embed blocks to add external content to your site like videos, tweets, Facebook posts, and more.
To learn more about choosing the best block for your custom content, visit Adding custom code to your site.
Watch a video
Before you begin
- Embed blocks pull content from services that use the oEmbed standard or manually set embed codes. To add other code to your site, use code blocks.
- You can use the embed block to display videos with advanced display settings, autoplay enabled, or that are hosted with Wistia, Animoto, or other hosts. For most YouTube and Vimeo videos, use the video block instead. To learn more, visit Choosing the right video embed option.
- For most video services, you can edit the embed code to enable autoplay. To learn more, visit Autoplaying videos.
- To learn more about using an embed block to display a feed of X posts on your site, visit Using X with Squarespace.
Add a video to an embed block
To add a video to an embed block:
- Find the video's embed code. Most video services have a Share or Embed button near the video. Click Share or Embed, then copy the embed code provided.
- On your Squarespace site, edit a page or post, click an insert point, and click Embed. For help, visit Adding content with blocks.
- Open the block editor by clicking the pencil icon on the block.
- Click Code snippet on a computer (or Code in the Squarespace app) and paste the video's embed code manually into the text field.
- Add a description to display text under the video or upload a custom featured image that displays until the visitor clicks to play. Keep in mind that adding a custom featured image disables autoplay.
Note: If the embed code doesn't work, the video host you're using probably doesn't use the oEmbed standard. For such services, we recommend placing the embed code in a code block.
Add a video playlist
If you create playlists on your YouTube channel, you can add the videos in the playlist to your embed block. This way, the videos play automatically, one after the other.
To add a playlist:
- Go to your YouTube account and click the Playlists tab.
- Find the playlist you'd like to add and click View full playlist.
- Click the share icon, then click Embed and copy the code.
- In your Squarespace site, open the block editor and click Code snippet, then paste the code.
Add other content to an embed block
To add other content to an embed block:
- Edit a page or post, click Add Block or an insert point, and click Embed. For help, visit Adding content with blocks.
- Open the block editor by clicking the pencil icon or Edit on the block.
- Enter the URL of the item you're embedding. You'll need a URL from a site that uses the oEmbed standard.
- If the content doesn't appear, click Code snippet in the block editor on a computer (or Code in the Squarespace app) and paste an embed code manually into the text field.
Note: The custom featured image and description fields are for video embeds. If you add a custom featured image to other embedded content, your content won't display.
This section covers issues specific to the embed block. To troubleshoot embedded videos, visit Adding videos to your site.
Error message: Enter a valid embed URL or code
This message displays if there's an error with the embed URL or code. To fix the issue:
- Open the embed block.
- Add a valid URL or embed code.
- When a valid URL or code is entered, a "Successfully Located" message displays below.
If your embed code still isn't working, we recommend contacting the third-party service that provided the code for help.
Embedded content isn't displaying
As a security measure, sometimes embedded code or content doesn't appear when you're logged in. As long as the code is valid, it should display to visitors. To check that it appears to visitors, try logging out of your site and visiting it, or opening it in an incognito window.
If the content still doesn't appear, there's probably something wrong with the code. We recommend contacting the third-party service that provided the code for help.
Note: Code-based customization falls outside the scope of our support. This means that we’re unable to help further with setup or troubleshooting. Additionally, with a code-based solution, we can’t guarantee its functionality or full compatibility with Squarespace. This includes how it functions with our responsive design, particularly its appearance on mobile devices, and if it functions on all templates. Code-based customizations can also cause display issues with future updates to our platform. While we can't help further, there are many resources that can point you in the right direction: