If you're moving to Squarespace 7 from Squarespace 5, you can import content from your Squarespace 5 site. This means you can use all of Squarespace 7's features with your existing content, without having to start over.
If you're just starting the process of moving to Squarespace 7, we suggest you start with Moving from Squarespace 5 to Squarespace 7.
Before you begin
- To follow the steps in this guide, you'll need a Squarespace 7 site. If you don't have one already, you can start a trial.
- If a page on your Squarespace 5 site has the same full URL (example: www.yoursite.com/about) as a page on your Squarespace 7 site, change the slug of the Squarespace 7 page before you import. Your site won't allow two active pages with the same URL.
- Ensure images in your Squarespace 5's File Storage don't include spaces in their file names. Use hyphens instead.
What imports from Squarespace 5
Squarespace 7 imports all of your:
- Journal Pages and blog posts
- Blog post comments
- HTML Pages
- Picture Gallery Pages
Squarespace 7 won't import other content, including:
- Files uploaded to your file storage section, and content added to headers, footers, and sidebars. You can add this content manually.
- Discussion Pages, Drop Box Pages, FAQ Pages, Guestbook Pages, and RSS Widgets.
- Blog content using Markdown language. You can add this manually on your new site with the Markdown Block.
- Information from your Squarespace 5 site's Traffic Overview. Learn about Squarespace 7's analytics options and how to maintain your SEO ranking.
Step 1 - Import your content
- Log into your Squarespace 7 site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings.
- Click Advanced, and then click Import / Export.
- Click Import.
- Select V5.
- In the Account URL or Login field, enter your login, which is the first part of your Squarespace 5 URL. For example, if your full URL is http://yoursite.squarespace.com, you'll enter yoursite.
- Enter your password in the Password field.
- Click Begin Import.
- A Success message will appear once the import is complete.
Tip: For help recovering a Squarespace 5 password, visit Changing or recovering your password on our Squarespace 5 help site.
Step 2 - Enable your imported content
Your imported content will appear in the Not Linked section of the Pages panel. The pages are disabled by default. This means that they're hidden from your navigation menus, and visitors can't see them until you're ready to move and enable them.
Tip: If you don't see your imported pages in the Pages panel, refresh your browser.
To make your content visible, enable the page:
- Hover over the page title, and click the next to the title to open Page Settings.
- Check Enabled.
- Click Save.
For detailed steps, visit Moving from Squarespace 5 to Squarespace 7.
Step 3 - Move pages (optional)
To add your imported pages to a navigation menu, drag and drop the page to a navigation section. To learn more, visit Moving pages around your navigation.
- Finish setting up your new site
- Rename your pages
- Set a page as your homepage
- Manually import from file storage
If the label says Failure, click Clear, then click Import. Try the import again, making sure of the following:
- Use your account name in the first field, not your site's URL or your email address.
- Ensure your password is correct. The password is case-sensitive.
If you're still having issues with this step, contact our Customer Care team.