When a customer submits an order or donation to your Squarespace ecommerce store, creates a customer account, or abandons a checkout (when enabled), they'll receive an automatic email. They'll also receive a notification email when you ship their order or issue a refund.
You can customize the text and layout of these emails to match your site and brand. Editing these emails ensures that your customers receive proper information and that their replies go to your correct email address.
Available email notifications
Here are the notification emails Squarespace sends to your customers.
- Order Confirmed - Sent automatically after a purchase. This email can't be disabled.
- Order Fulfilled - Sent automatically when an order is marked fulfilled.
- Order Refunded - Sent automatically when an order is cancelled or a refund is issued. This email can't be disabled.
- Abandoned Checkout - Sent automatically after a customer abandons a cart during checkout.
- Welcome - Sent automatically when a customer creates an account.
- Reset Password - Sent automatically when a customer clicks the Forgot password? link and requests a reset email. Reset password links expire after 24 hours.
- Password Updated - Sent automatically after a customer updates their password.
If you don't want to send an Order Fulfilled email, uncheck Send Order Fulfilled Notification when completing the order. To learn more, visit Receiving an order.
Customizing email notifications
Subject line and message
Customize subject lines and messages for all three notification emails. To get started, visit Order emails.
Header and footer
Create a default header and footer that will appear on all order emails.
Business name and address
The Business name and address set in the Business Information Settings panel appears at the bottom on all order emails.
In Email Settings, you can set:
- The From email address
- The Reply-to email address
- The stock level at which an internal inventory notification email is sent
Note: If you use a Yahoo or AOL email address in the Customer Support Email: From field, your customer's email provider may mark email notifications as spam. We recommend using the default email address for this field, email@example.com, or using a custom email address linked to a domain you own. To learn more, visit Notifications settings.
Why should I customize these emails?
Customizing your notification emails is a great way to extend your brand experience with your customers. By editing the tone and content of the email, you can let customers know their business is valued and maintain the aesthetic of your ecommerce store.
If you're selling a physical product, you can preview how your notification email will appear to your customers.
Here's an example of a customized notification email:
If you're selling a digital or service product, you can preview your custom notification email by sending a test email. To learn more, visit Order emails.