Squarespace 5 launched in 2008. In 2012, we introduced Squarespace 6, a brand new platform designed to make building and managing your site more modern and intuitive. In 2014, all Squarespace 6 sites upgraded to Squarespace 7, the latest version of our platform.
Squarespace 7 and Squarespace 5 are separate platforms, which means many of their features don't overlap. It's no longer possible to create new Squarespace 5 sites. Squarespace 5 users can move to Squarespace 7 at any time.
Am I using Squarespace 5 or Squarespace 7?
If you can log into your site with your Squarespace account name, you’re using Squarespace 5. (For Squarespace 7, you log in with an email address.)
The Squarespace 5 platform's Website Management bar has editing modes in the top-right:
Should I switch to Squarespace 7?
Squarespace 7 has many features that Squarespace 5 doesn't, such as mobile-friendly design, video backgrounds, SEO optimization, and eCommerce. However, there are some Squarespace 5 features that don't have a direct equivalent in Squarespace 7, such as the Discussion page.
For a list of options on each platform, visit Squarespace 5 vs Squarespace 7 on our Squarespace 5 Help Center.
Move from Squarespace 5 to Squarespace 7
To move from Squarespace 5 to Squarespace 7:
- Start a Squarespace 7 trial.
- Import your Squarespace 5 content and enable it.
- Set up, style, and add to your site. You may need to recreate content that didn't import automatically.
- Upgrade your Squarespace 7 site to active billing.
- Move your custom domain.
- Cancel Squarespace 5 billing.
For detailed steps, visit Moving from Squarespace 5 to Squarespace 7 on our Squarespace 5 Help Center.
Log into Squarespace 5
To log into a Squarespace 5 site:
- Go to https://accountname.squarespace.com/display/Login, replacing “accountname” with your site's account name. Ensure Login is capitalized.
- Use your Squarespace 5 account name and password to log into your site.
For more help, visit Login troubleshooting on our Squarespace 5 Help Center.
About Squarespace 5 linked sites
Billing for a Squarespace 5 account can't be linked to a new Squarespace 7 site anymore.
Some Squarespace sites were linked in the past. To check if your site is linked:
- Log into your Squarespace 7 site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings.
- Click Billing & Account.
- Click Billing.
- At the top of the Billing panel, you'll see a message that says: "This site is included with your Squarespace 5 membership."
Linked sites have some restrictions. For more help and information, visit Squarespace 7 linked sites on our Squarespace 5 Help Center.