Carrier Calculated shipping rates via UPS automatically calculates shipping costs based on UPS rates and containers. It uses package weight, dimensions, and shipping address to calculate shipping costs at checkout.
Note: For an overview of the shipping process and our other shipping methods, visit Setting up shipping rates. This guide is specific to UPS. For a general overview of Carrier Calculated shipping, visit Carrier Calculated shipping overview.
Before you begin
- To use Carrier Calculated shipping via UPS, you'll need to accurately label weight and dimensions for all products.
- Carrier Calculated shipping via UPS is only available for domestic shipping within the United States.
- If UPS Carrier Calculated shipping is enabled, the item limit in shopping carts reduces to 150 items. (The default limit is 500 items.) This limit is in place to keep shipping estimates accurate, since larger orders interfere with UPS' shipping algorithm.
- Carrier Calculated shipping is available on the Advanced plan, and certain legacy billing plans.
- You can also set up Carrier Calculated rates with FedEx and USPS.
Step 1 - Add Carrier Calculated rates via UPS
In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Shipping.
Click Add Shipping Option.
Select Carrier Calculated via UPS from the shipping options.
Step 2 - Select services
In the Formula tab, enable the services you'll support. You can use these UPS services:
- UPS Ground
- UPS Next Day Air
- UPS Next Day Air Saver
- UPS 2nd Day Air
- UPS 3 Day Select
Visit UPS's documentation for detailed delivery information for each service.
Step 3 - Set a formula
UPS rates are calculated using a percentage markup and your shipping zip code.
In the Markup box, enter a percentage markup to charge more than the estimated cost for UPS charges. This is a useful way to cover the price of packaging, time spent shipping, or other additional costs.
Ship from zip code
Enter the zip code for your shipping origin. If you ship products from your home or store location, this should be your zip code.
Step 3 - Add containers
Click the Containers tab to list your available shipping containers (boxes or packages) for the service type.
Squarespace estimates shipping costs based on the minimum number of packages and smallest containers possible.
Note: Since customers may purchase multiple items, it's important to set containers larger than your product dimensions. If your containers are set to accommodate one item each, this packages large orders in multiple containers and significantly increases shipping costs.
Use UPS containers
Note: UPS Ground and UPS 3 Day Select require custom containers. If you're using these services, you'll be prompted to enter a custom container before saving.
All other options support the following standard UPS containers:
- Small Express Box 13.00" ✕ 2.00" ✕ 11.00"
- Medium Express Box 15.00" ✕ 3.00" ✕ 11.00"
- Large Express Box 18.00" ✕ 3.00" ✕ 13.00"
- Express Tube 38.00" ✕ 6.00" ✕ 6.00"
Use custom containers
In the Custom Containers tab, click Add a custom container. Enter a Container name and its Dimensions. Click the + icon to add more containers.
Step 6 - View UPS shipping information
To learn more about how your items are packed and the rates you're charging, view an order's shipping information.
Step 7 - Check your rates (optional)
UPS calculates rates based on the dimensions and weight of the package and the distance shipped. If the rates seem high, you can check them against the UPS calculator.
Note: UPS rates assume a residential origin and destination. Check Residential address in the UPS calculator to see equivalent rates.
To test how rates for different product combinations are calculated, run test orders. Running a test order will show you how items are being placed in their containers. You can often reduce rates by creating a custom container or reducing the dimensions of a product so it fits the container better.
Note: If you run a test order and have questions about how the UPS shipping price was calculated, open a ticket with the following information:
- Exact products in the cart
- Shipping options selected
- Exact address used
- Order # for any relevant test orders