This guide clarifies some of the most common issues that may come up when using the Wells template.
My Gallery Page thumbnails are out of order
This happens when the Thumbnail Aspect Ratio tweak in the Gallery Options section of Site Styles is set to Auto. This setting creates the best layout for thumbnails based on their different sizes.
To display display images in the correct order and make them all the same size, select an Aspect Ratio other than Auto.
The image captions, titles, and navigation are displaying on the wrong side
Wells Gallery Pages have responsive design based on browser size. If the title, descriptions, and navigation for any image in a gallery are too long to fit in the sidebar, those elements for all images in that Gallery Page will display on the opposite side as an overlay. If you selected Number or Bullets as your navigation, it displays as Prev / Next while in the overlay.
To move these elements back to the sidebar, these steps may help:
- Expand your browser window.
- Shorten the titles and descriptions, or reduce their font size in Site Styles.
- Create more space in the sidebar by reducing the number of navigation links and removing blocks from the content area.
- Use folders to create drop-down menus and consolidate navigation titles.
Gallery Page navigation controls aren't showing
There are a few reasons why this might happen.
- If the Gallery Controls: Hide tweak is checked in the Gallery Options section of Site Styles, the navigation controls won’t display.
- If there isn’t enough room in the sidebar for the title and description of any image in the gallery, the navigation will display on the opposite side as an overlay. If you’ve selected Number or Bullets as your navigation, it displays as Prev / Next while in the overlay.
I can't see my navigation sidebar on mobile devices
The responsive design in Wells condenses the navigation into a menu link in mobile view. You’ll see the navigation sidebar when viewing your site on devices or orientations that are wider than 800 pixels--for example, in landscape orientation on an iPad.
To learn more, visit the Mobile section of the Wells structure and style guide.
The logo or site title keeps shrinking
In Wells, the logo or site title displays in the sidebar. If your site title font or logo image is wider than the sidebar, the template automatically shrinks it to fit.
To fix the issue:
- From the Home Menu, click Design, then Site Styles.
- Increase the width of the sidebar with the Sidebar Width tweak in the Sidebar Options section of Site Styles.
- Use the Site Title Size or Logo Image Width tweaks in the Site Title / Logo Options section to adjust the size of the logo or title.
My site navigation extends past the browser window and I can’t access all my links
If you have a lot of links in your navigation, uncheck Sidebar Fixed in the Sidebar Options section of Site Styles. The sidebar will now move up the page as you scroll.
If you want a fixed navigation, consider reducing the number of navigation links. One method would be using folders to create drop-down menus. You can also adjust the content that displays in the content area to reduce the height of your sidebar content.
Random text appears when I share my site on social media
Squarespace can’t control exactly what appears on social media when you share content. However, sometimes with Wells, demo text from the sidebar displays, even if it’s hidden on your site. Therefore, it’s considered a best practice to delete the content from the blog sidebar when it's hidden.
How to delete the sidebar content:
- Unhide the sidebar with the Blog Sidebar tweak in the Blog Options section of Site Styles. (You can re-hide the sidebar after deleting the content.)
- Open the Pages panel, and open any Blog Page.
- Hover over the sidebar and click Edit.
- Delete the sidebar content.
- Return to Site Styles and set the Blog Sidebar tweak to Hide.
If you don't have a Blog Page, create one temporarily to adjust the sidebar, and then delete the page.