Montauk, Julia, Kent, and Om share the same underlying structure and functionality. This guide applies to all these templates.
This guide walks you through the options for adjusting the look and feel of your Montauk, Julia, Kent, or Om site. These options are available in the Site Styles panel.
This is a supplement to the guide Making style changes, which we suggest you read first if you're new to Squarespace.
Tip: In the Home Menu, click Design, and then click Site Styles. To access tweaks specific to a page, navigate to Site Styles when on that specific page.
Templates in the Montauk family support these page types:
- Index - Create a grid of thumbnail images that link to pages on your site.
- Gallery - Display images and videos in a stacked format.
- Blog - The list-style Blog Page stacks posts vertically.
- Regular Page - A blank page you can customize with blocks.
- Album - Create a page with playable music tracks and cover art.
- Events - Create a calendar or list of events.
- Products (Classic) - Sell goods and services with our integrated Commerce features.
- Cover Page - A unique landing page styled separately from your template.
The site header displays the site title or logo, navigation links, and an additional customizable area called the header subtitle.
For more information, visit Site header.
Page border and background
A border can display around your entire site and at the top and bottom of the main content.
- Set the color with the Page Border Color tweak in the Colors section of Site Styles.
- In the Options section, use the Page Borders tweak to set the line thickness or to hide the page border altogether.
- If you set the Canvas Style tweak to Masthead Logo Left or Right, the outside border won't display.
Use the Colors section of Site Styles to set the Site Background color for the area of the site outside the page border. The Canvas Background color controls the area inside the page border.
Note: For the Julia template, you’ll need to remove the demo Site Background Image for the site background color to show.
Use the Site Background Image tweak to add an image as the background of the site. For more information about styling the image, visit Adding a background image.
- The Site Background color may display briefly before the background image loads.
- You can use the opacity slider in the Canvas Background tweak to allow the image to show through, as shown in the example below.
These templates support three footers.
- Per-page footer - Add unique footer content to individual pages. Page footers for Regular Pages and Gallery Pages don't display when viewed within the Index. Collection items (individual events, blog posts, and products) each have their own page footer.
- Info footer - Appears on all pages of your site. Displays social icons for connected accounts. Hide this footer with the Hide Info Footer tweak.
- Bottom footer - Appears on all pages of your site.
Note: The info footer's annotation won't appear if Hide Info Footer is unchecked in the Options section of Site Styles.
You can display a banner image or video with a text overlay at the top these page types:
- Regular Page
- Index landing page
The width and height are fixed:
- Width - Page banners always display at the width of the site content.
- Height - Page banners don't crop vertically; their height is set by the original image. This means each banner may be a different height, depending on the shape of the original image. Ensuring all your banner images have the same aspect ratio will create a uniform look.
The page title and description displays over the banner as text.
- You must have a banner image or video for the title and description to appear.
- The description won't display on smartphones and browsers less than 767 pixels wide.
- The color matches the Canvas Background color.
With the tweaks in the Options section of Site Styles you can:
- Set the alignment
- Hide the page title
- Hide the line between title and description
- Hide the page banner altogether
The Page Title and Page Description tweaks in the Typography section style the fonts.
Note: When a Regular Page is viewed within an Index Page, the page banner won't display.
The info footer contains social icons, which link to your connected accounts.
Uncheck Hide Info Footer in the Options section of Site Styles to display the info footer. Then use the Social Icon Style tweak to change how the icons look, or use the Hide Social Icons tweak to hide them.
You can also add social icons to any page or footer using a Social Links Block. The Social Links Block has its own styling options.
Tip: Montauk's demo content also includes a removable Social Links Block in the bottom footer.
Because Squarespace templates are built with responsive design, your site will adjust on mobile devices to better fit the format of that device. You can use Device View to see how your site will look on different devices.
On a smartphone, the navigation displays in a menu at the top of the page.
- When you tap Menu, it expands to show your Top Navigation links. The Menu link always displays on mobile, even if the Top Navigation is empty.
- The menu follows the Canvas Background color.
Banners may display differently on mobile:
- On smartphones and browsers less than 767 pixels wide, page descriptions won't display over banners.
- Video banners don't display in mobile. Instead, set a mobile fallback image.
- See our troubleshooting tips for mobile banner and background image cropping issues.
Sidebar content displays below page content on mobile.
Note: You can disable mobile styles.
Learn how to style your site header.