Most Squarespace templates have a unique design optimized for mobile devices, which helps your visitors view and navigate your site from any device. We recommend keeping mobile styles enabled, but if you'd prefer not to use it, some templates have an option to disable this feature.
We recommend testing out your template’s built-in mobile styles before disabling them. To learn how your site will display with mobile styles enabled, visit How will my site appear on a mobile device?
Drawbacks to disabling mobile styles
Disabling mobile styles makes your site appear the same on a mobile device as it does on a desktop. Instead of site content stacking into one vertical column, blocks and other content appear in the same layout you see on a desktop browser. This means that mobile visitors will have to pinch and zoom to navigate your site.
If you disable mobile styles, note that this might also affect your SEO. In April 2015, Google began considering “mobile-friendliness” when ranking sites on mobile device searches. Squarespace sites are only compliant with Google’s requirements when mobile styles are enabled.
Mobile styles can't be disabled in the following templates. Templates are grouped by family.
- Brine family - Aria, Basil, Blend, Brine, Burke, Cacao, Clay, Ethan, Fairfield, Feed, Foster, Greenwich, Hatch, Heights, Hunter, Hyde, Impact, Jaunt, Juke, Keene, Kin, Maple, Margot, Marta, Mentor, Mercer, Miller, Mojave, Moksha, Motto, Nueva, Pedro, Polaris, Pursuit, Rally, Rover, Royce, Sofia, Sonny, Sonora, Stella, Thorne, Vow, Wav, West
- Farro family - Farro, Haute
- Skye family - Foundry, Indigo, Ready, Skye, Tudor
- Tremont family - Camino, Carson, Henson, Tremont
- York family - Artesia, Flores, Harris, Jasper, Jones, Lange, Shibori, York
You also can't disable mobile styles for Cover Pages.
If you must disable your mobile styles, we recommend keeping your site mobile-friendly by carefully managing your page content.
Disable mobile styles
Disabling the Mobile Styles disables the mobile navigation and page display.
- In the Home Menu, click Design, then click Template Settings.
- Check Disable Mobile Styles.
- Click Save.
Tip: This option won't appear if your template doesn't support disabling mobile styles.
Mobile styles vs. responsive design
The mobile styles for your site and your site's responsive design are different, but related, concepts.
Mobile Styles only affects mobile-specific navigation for sites and the restrictions placed on loading content backgrounds and other design elements that might be unwieldy on mobile devices. These elements are disabled when you disable mobile styles to present a more desktop-like version of your site.
Responsive Design refers to the ability of your site and its content elements to adjust their size to fit the visitor's browser window. Responsive design remains in place for all Squarespace sites even with mobile styles disabled. This means that the full website and content areas will still be sized to fit smaller devices.