MailChimp is an email marketing service you can use to design and send email campaigns and newsletters. Squarespace offers an integration with MailChimp through the Form Block, Newsletter Block, and checkout page. You can also use MailChimp's RSS to Email campaign feature to allow visitors to subscribe to your blog via email.
Using MailChimp with Squarespace is a great way to connect with your visitors beyond your site.
Note: To connect MailChimp to a form on a Cover Page, use the Action panel.
Note: Visit Troubleshooting MailChimp issues if you're experiencing issues with your connection to MailChimp.
Watch a video
Connect a Form Block or Newsletter Block
You can use MailChimp as a storage option in the Form Block and the Newsletter Block. This adds form submissions to a subscriber list in your MailChimp account.
When using MailChimp in a Form Block or Newsletter Block, keep the following in mind:
- If any fields other than Email are checked as required in your MailChimp list settings, form submissions won't collect in MailChimp. To resolve the issue, uncheck them as Required in MailChimp. You can then create required fields using the option in the Form Block.
- To use MailChimp as a storage option, it will need to connect to a new, empty MailChimp list. Form Blocks and Newsletter Blocks can't be used with existing MailChimp lists.
- If you edit any form fields after connecting to MailChimp, create and link a new MailChimp list. If your Form Block fields and MailChimp list fields become mismatched, this may cause issues with submissions passing to MailChimp.
- To connect multiple Form or Newsletter Blocks to the same MailChimp list, keep the form fields and settings exactly the same between the blocks. Any differences can cause form submissions to be dropped/rejected by MailChimp.
- Per MailChimp's policy, lists can't exceed 30 data fields. If the Form Block has more than 30 Form Fields, edit the Form Block and remove some fields.
In the block editor, click the Storage tab, then click MailChimp. In this example, we're using a Form Block.
Log in using your MailChimp username and password.
Select a MailChimp list for form submissions from the drop-down menu.
Note: For more help, visit Using the Form Block and Using the Newsletter Block.
You can add a Join our mailing list option to your checkout page. To learn more, visit Adding a newsletter subscribe option to checkout.
Create an email newsletter from your blog
You can use MailChimp's RSS-to-Email campaign feature to automatically email subscribers when you add new content to your RSS feed. The email includes a digest of your blog post with images and post text or excerpts.
To learn more, visit Adding email subscriptions to your blog.
If you're sending your MailChimp newsletter from an email address using a Squarespace Domain, MailChimp recommends setting up your own DKIM and SPF authentication. If you skip this step, your email campaigns might be more likely to arrive in spam or junk folders.
To authenticate your domain, open Advanced DNS Settings and create a new CNAME and TXT record:
- CNAME: Set Host as "k1._domainkey" and Data as "dkim.mcsv.net" (Don't use MailChimp's recommended CNAME, k1._domainkey.yoursite.com, as the authentication will fail).
- TXT: Set Host as "@" and Data as "v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net ?all"
Note: For help authenticating a third-party domain, contact your domain provider.
MailChimp's double opt-in policy
Note: For help with creating and sending MailChimp campaigns, contact MailChimp at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their knowledge base.
Connect multiple blocks to MailChimp
Connecting multiple Form Blocks to a single MailChimp list can cause several issues, including dropped form submission data and disconnection from MailChimp. We recommend using a separate MailChimp list for each Form or Newsletter Block on your site when possible.
If you choose to connect multiple blocks to a single MailChimp list, each block must be absolutely identical. Any discrepancies between type, name, or arrangement of fields between blocks will create errors.
To troubleshoot errors resulting from multiple blocks connected to a MailChimp list, reset the MailChimp connection for each block, check each block to confirm all fields are identical, and then reconnect MailChimp as a storage option.
Measure site traffic from MailChimp
Traffic Sources Analytics shows where visitors come from on the web. When using MailChimp for marketing, you can check to see how many visitors MailChimp brings in through campaigns and forms, and how specific sources compare to one another.