If you're moving to Squarepsace from Tumblr, you can import your blog posts by following this guide.
Note: This is a one-time import. Any updates in your Tumblr blog won't automatically sync to Squarespace after the import. Importing a Tumblr blog multiple times creates a new Blog Page and disables the first imported Blog Page.
What imports from Tumblr
Squarespace will import the following posts and fields:
- Post descriptions
- Image captions
Squarespace won't import other content, including:
- Photo posts
- Reblogged content
- Your blog thumbnail image
Step 1 - Remove Ask/Answer posts
Tumblr's Ask/Answer posts aren't compatible with Squarespace. If your Tumblr contains Ask/Answer posts, your import will fail.
Use these steps to remove all Ask/Answer posts before importing:
- Go to http://yourname.tumblr.com/archive/filter-by/answer, replacing yourname with your Tumblr title.
- In a new tab, log into your Tumblr account.
- Click the Account icon in the top-right corner, select your blog, then click Mass Post Editor.
- You'll see a list of your Tumblr posts by date. Remove all posts on the /archive/filter-by/answer page.
Note: You can recreate your Ask/Answer posts using Quote Blocks in blog posts. Change the blog posts' publication date to match the dates posted in Tumblr, then merge blog pages after importing.
Step 2 - Import your content
- In the Home Menu, click Settings.
- Click Advanced, and then click Import / Export.
- Click Import.
- Click Tumblr.
- Enter your Tumblr URL and click Begin Import.
- A progress bar will indicate that your Tumblr content is importing. A Success message will appear once the import is complete.
Step 3 - Enable your imported content
Your imported content will appear in the Not Linked section of the Pages panel. This page is disabled by default. This means that it's hidden from your navigation menus, and visitors can't see it until you're ready to move and enable it.
Tip: If you don't see a Tumblr Import page in the Pages panel, refresh your browser.
To make your content visible, enable the page:
- Hover over the page title, and click the next to the title to open Page Settings.
- Check Enabled.
- Click Save.
Step 4 - Move the page (optional)
To add your imported posts to a navigation menu, drag and drop the Blog Page to a navigation section. To learn more, visit Moving pages around your navigation.
Now that your content is on your new site, you might want to: