This guide answers some general questions about Squarespace Analytics (previously Squarespace Metrics). To see detailed guides on each panel, visit Using Squarespace Analytics.
Note: We recently renamed Metrics to Analytics.
How far back can I go?
How far back you can go in Analytics depends on the panel you’re viewing.
- In Sales Overview, Traffic Overview, Traffic Sources, Purchase Funnel, and Abandoned Cart, you can view data starting from when you started this site or from when we added the panel.
- In Activity Log, you can view data from the last seven days.
How often does Analytics refresh with new data?
Data in Analytics can take up to 90 minutes to update.
Can I reset data in Analytics?
It isn’t possible to reset Analytics or restart the data from scratch.
Can I export data?
It's not currently possible to export Analytics data to a .csv or other format.
You may want to use our Analytics App for iOS to access Analytics from an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.
How does Analytics handle different time zones and currencies?
Time, date ranges, and currencies are based on what you’ve set in Regional Settings, not your visitors’ time zones or currencies. Changes to Regional Settings aren’t retroactive.
How does Squarespace get the data in Analytics?
I want data that isn’t available on Analytics. Where can I find it?
Analytics is evolving, and we’re exploring new ways to provide more insights for our customers. We recommend Google Analytics as a supplement to Squarespace Analytics.
If you sell products, note that Analytics gives you a high-level, visually rich overview of how your store is doing. For more detailed reporting you might need for accounting purposes, we recommend the reports in your Stripe account.
Why is Google Analytics data different than Squarespace Analytics?
Our two platforms have different ways of calculating site traffic, which explains slight discrepancies you might see between them. For example, Google Analytics counts your activity when you're logged in, while Squarespace Analytics excludes your activity. In Google Analytics, some data might be based on a sample size, while Squarespace Analytics always calculates data based on full visitor activity.
To learn more, visit Using Google Analytics with Squarespace.
Where did Mobile Usage go?
We recently removed the Mobile Usage panel. Now Analytics has more data about mobile browsing in general:
- To put mobile browsing trends in more context, you can filter many Analytics panels by device type, including desktop, tablet, and mobile.
- For a breakdown of traffic to site by device, browser, and operating system, see the pie graphs at the bottom of Traffic Overview.
Where did Referrers go?
The Referrers panel is now called Traffic Sources, and it has a new look and more data.
Why can't I see Sales Overview?
If you don’t see a link to Sales Overview in the main Analytics panel, it means you don’t have a payment processor connected. To get started selling online collecting Sales Overview data, connect a payment processor.
Is the dimmed data in behind the Upgrade button in Purchase Funnel real?
No. Any dimmed or blurred data behind the Upgrade screen is a sample. To get real Purchase Funnel data, upgrade to a Commerce plan.
What are the differences between Visits, Audience Size, and Page Views?
In Traffic Overview:
- A Visit is a single browsing session by the same visitor.
- Unique Visitors (previously “Audience Size”) is an estimate of the total number of visitors that reached your site in the selected time period.
- Page Views tracks how many actual page requests your site received in the selected time period.
How does revenue factor adjustments like operating costs and discounts?
Revenue is the sum of all subtotals:
- Revenue doesn’t include business costs like shipping fees or taxes.
- All applied discounts are subtracted from revenue numbers.
- Analytics doesn’t factor in refunds at this time.
Does Analytics include test orders?
How are views for pages in an Index counted?
Page views for an Index are counted in two different ways:
- Viewing a page accessed from the main Index Page counts as a view for the Index Page, not the individual page, in Analytics.
- Viewing a page directly from its unique URL counts as a view for the individual page, not the Index, in Analytics.
If you'd like to get more views on a certain page, adjust the way that you share your Index Page.
Can Squarespace help improve my results?
Customer Care can't provide specific advice because everyone's content, goals, and audience are a little different. There are plenty of resources online that explore different ways to impact your analytics, and we recommend experimenting to find out what has the best results for your site.