Add tags and categories to a Blog Page to organize your content and help visitors find similar posts.
- Tags must be 80 characters or fewer.
- Categories must be 25 characters or fewer.
- Tags and categories are case-sensitive. For example, entering Apples, apples, and APPLES creates three tags or categories.
Watch a video
Step 1 - Go to a Blog Page
In the Home Menu, click Pages, then choose a Blog page from your navigation.
Note: To learn how to add a Blog Page to your site, visit Blogging with Squarespace.
Step 2 - Edit blog post
Click a post title, then click Edit.
Step 3 - Add tags and categories
In the bottom left corner of the post editor, click the + icon next to either Tags or Categories. Click an existing tag or category, or type in a new one. Existing tags appear in a drop-down as you type.
To remove a tag or category from the post, click the X next to the label.
Step 4 - Manage tags and categories
You can bulk-edit tags and categories in the Advanced tab of Blog Settings. For example, if you want to rename a category from Movie Reviews to Film Reviews, you can bulk-edit the entire category so you don't have to go into every post and rename the category manually.
In the Pages Panel, click your Blog Page. Then click the to open Blog Settings.
In the Advanced tab, click the tag or category names you'd like to remove or rename. You can also merge tags or categories by selecting the labels you'd like to combine, then clicking Merge.
Certain templates offer a category navigation at the top of the Blog Page, which displays links to the different post categories. Clicking a link filters out every post except the ones in that category.
You can enable category navigation in the following templates: Pacific, Charlotte, Fulton, Horizon, and Naomi.
Adding filters as links in the Main Navigation
You can add links to tags or categories in your Main Navigation. When visitors click one of these links, they'll be taken to a filtered page for the tag or category.
To set this up:
- Ensure you have a Blog Page with at least one blog post. Ensure that blog post has at least one tag or category.
- From the Home Menu, click Pages.
- In the Main Navigation section, click the + icon and choose Link.
- In the Link Title field, add the word or words you want to display in the navigation. Often, this is the same as the tag or category you're linking to.
- Click Click to add URL.
- Click the Content tab.
- Click the drop-down arrow for your Blog Page.
- Click either Category or Tag, and choose a filter.
- Click Save.
As you write new blog posts, add each one to the same Blog Page, and keep giving them tags or categories as needed. When you add a new category or tag, you can add a new navigation link to the navigation following the same steps.
Note: Each filter link is connected to one Blog Page. If you have multiple Blog Pages, you'll need to set up filter links for each one.
For more details on managing tags and categories, visit our general tags and categories guide.
Check out these guides for more options for displaying tags and categories: