You can transfer a Squarespace Domain to another provider if it's been at least 60 days since it was registered. The total process can take up to seven business days to complete. This guide shows you how to get a transfer key, also called an EPP code or authorization code, that you'll need to transfer the domain to a different domain host.
Tip: To transfer a domain to another Squarespace site, visit Moving a domain between sites.
Before you begin
- The 60-day transfer rule is part of our agreement with ICANN.
- If you're transferring a free domain, the free offer doesn't carry over to the new provider. They may charge you for continued domain service.
- If you're transferring out a domain ending in .co.uk, review the special transfer requirements and exceptions before beginning the process.
- If you have G Suite by Google attached to your domain, adjust your MX records with your new domain provider after transferring to prevent an interruption of your email service. You'll keep managing your G Suite subscription through Squarespace unless you cancel it.
- Transferring your Squarespace Domain doesn't move your site hosting to your new provider or cancel your current Squarespace site. If you're leaving all Squarespace services, cancel your website subscription after transferring your domain.
Step 1 - Unlock the domain
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click the domain you want to transfer.
- Scroll down and uncheck Lock Domain.
Step 2 - Disable privacy (optional)
If your new provider requires you to make your Whois information public, uncheck Whois Privacy to disable privacy before continuing.
Step 3 - Get transfer key
The Get Transfer Key button will appear at the bottom of the panel after unlocking the domain.
Click Get Transfer Key and copy the transfer key that appears. You'll provide this code to your new domain provider to authorize the transfer. Your provider may also call this an “EPP code” or "authorization code."
Step 4 - Transfer the domain
To transfer your domain away from Squarespace, send your new domain provider the transfer key you just copied. The steps vary by provider. If you need help, contact them or visit their documentation. Here's domain transfer documentation from popular providers:
Relock the domain
If you decide to keep your domain hosted by Squarespace, return to the domain in your Domains panel and check Lock Domain.
I didn't get a verification request email from my new domain provider.
Your new domain provider requires email verification to transfer your domain. If you didn't get the email, ensure that the Admin Contact email shown in your Domains panel is correct.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then Domains.
- Click the domain name you're transferring.
- In this domain's settings, click Registration Information.
- Ensure that the Admin Contact email address is correct. If not, click Admin Contact and update the Email Address field.
My Squarespace Domain is expired.
You can transfer an expired Squarespace Domain, but your website may need to be active. Check with your new domain provider before transferring, as some providers can't accept transfers from expired websites.
I can't edit my Squarespace DNS settings.
Once your new domain provider accepts your transfer, you can't edit the domain's DNS or nameserver settings through Squarespace. If you attempt to update anything in the domain's Advanced Settings panel, you'll see an error message. To change these, wait for the domain to fully transfer to the new provider, then follow the new provider's instructions.
My new domain provider says the domain can't be transferred.
If your new provider can't accept your domain, first ensure that you've had your domain with Squarespace for at least 60 days. Domains active for less than 60 days can't be transferred.
Next, ensure that you've unlocked the domain within Squarespace. If Lock Domain is already unchecked, check it again, then uncheck it once more.
If you're still having trouble, open a ticket, and we'll be happy to help.
My domain hasn't transferred to my new provider.
Domain transfers can take up to seven business days. This timing is out of Squarespace's control. If you followed the steps in this guide and your domain still hasn't transferred after seven business days, we recommend contacting your new domain provider for help.