If you purchased a domain from Dynadot and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following this guide. In this process, you'll change a few settings in your Dynadot account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with Dynadot, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Step 1 - Start the connection in Squarespace
To connect your domain, start in the Domains panel:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re connecting in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check your other Squarespace sites to find where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site.
- Select Dynadot from the drop-down menu.
- Click Connect Domain.
- In the message that appears, click Okay.
- A new panel will open with the records to create in your Dynadot account. Keep this panel open for your reference.
Step 2 - Log into Dynadot
- Go to www.dyndadot.com and log into your account. Hover over your account name in the top-left corner, then click My Account.
- In the left sidebar, click Manage Domains.
- Find the domain you're connecting to Squarespace and click the current DNS status. In this example, the domain is parked, but your domain might show a different status here.
- Choose Custom DNS from the drop-down under your domain name.
You'll now copy the records from the Domain panel so your Dynadot domain correctly links to your Squarespace site.
Note: Don't delete MX records during this process. MX Records connect your email address, and deleting them could interfere with your email service.
Step 3 - Add the first CNAME
In the first line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column. The unique code is a random string of numbers and letters that must point to verify.squarespace.com.
Your domain records may be green or red, depending on what Squarespace is seeing from your domain provider.
In your Dynadot account, scroll down to Subdomain Records (optional) and add a new record.
- In the Subdomain box to left of your domain name, paste the unique code from Host column of your Squarespace DNS Settings.
- In the Record Type drop-down menu, select CNAME.
- In the IP Address or Target Host box, enter verify.squarespace.com
Note: If you don't add this CNAME, or if it's entered incorrectly, the domain will unlink from your site after 15 days. If this happens, you can start over to reconnect the domain.
Step 4 - Add the second CNAME
In the second line of your Squarespace DNS Settings, www appears directly below the Host column. This record must point to ext-cust.squarespace.com.
In your Dynadot account, add another Subdomain record.
- Click Add Record at the bottom of the Subdomain Records section to add more boxes.
- In the Subdomain box to left of your domain name, enter www
- In the Record Type drop-down menu, select CNAME.
- In the IP Address or Target Host box, enter ext-cust.squarespace.com
Note: If you have an existing CNAME with a www Subdomain, edit this CNAME so the IP Address or Target Host is ext-cust.squarespace.com
Step 5 - Add A Records
In the last four lines of your Squarespace DNS Settings you'll see four IP addresses in the Required Data column. Using the steps below, create four A Records in Dynadot matching these values.
In your Dynadot account, under Domain Record (required) add a new record.
- In the Record Type drop-down menu, select A.
- In the IP Address or Target Host box, enter 22.214.171.124
- Repeat this process three more times using the following values:
- Click Add Record at the bottom of the Subdomain Records section to add more boxes as needed.
Note: If you have existing A Records, edit them so the IP Address or Target Host matches the values above. Don't delete any Mail or Email records, as deleting them could interfere with your email service.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save DNS.
Step 6 - Wait for the connection to complete
Congratulations, you've finished connecting the domain!
It can take 24 to 72 hours for the connection to start working properly. While you wait:
- You can return to your Squarespace DNS Settings, click Refresh below the records, and the Current Data column will start to show if your records are entered correctly. When the domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains panel with a Connected label.
- It’s normal to see errors in the Domains panel or when visiting your domain for up to 72 hours after completing the steps in this guide. If you see any error messages after 72 hours has passed, see the next section.
Troubleshoot with the DNS record checker
If we detect that your records weren’t set up properly, your domain will appear in the Domains panel with the message Can’t verify domain ownership.
To troubleshoot, use the DNS checker tool in the Domains panel to see the exact CNAME and A Records to fix with your domain provider.
Click the domain in the Domains panel, and then click DNS Settings. For detailed instructions, visit Checking your domain mapping records.
Getting more help
For more help with settings in your Dynadot account, contact their support team at (866) 262-3399. To help them understand your issue, you can use our sample message. You can also visit their documentation.