You can move a custom domain from one Squarespace site to another from your Domains panel. How you move a domain depends on where you bought it. In either case, you'll start on the site where the domain is currently connected.
- For Squarespace Domains, use the Move Domain to Another Website button.
- For third-party domains, disconnect the domain and re-connect it to your new site.
See the sections below for detailed steps on each process.
Move a Squarespace Domain
If you registered a domain through Squarespace and want to use it with a different Squarespace site, you can move it from your Domains panel.
Before you begin
- You must have the same email login and Administrator permissions on both sites.
- If the site you're moving to isn't on your account, request to be added as a contributor with Admin permissions. We recommend using a private or incognito window to accept the invitation, as this prevents conflicts with existing accounts.
- A free domain will convert to a paid domain if the site you're moving to is on a monthly plan or already has a free domain.
- You can’t move a domain to a trial or expired site.
- If you're leaving Squarespace, you can also transfer the domain to a different provider.
Move your domain
Start with the site where your domain is currently linked. In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
Note: If you're moving a domain from a parking page, start by clicking the domain in your main menu.
Click the domain you’d like to move.
Scroll down and click Move Domain to Another Site. This button will only display if you have another active page or site on your account.
In the pop-up window, click the thumbnail of the site where the domain will move. Log into the new site and click Confirm to complete the process.
Note: If the domain you’re moving includes a G Suite by Google subscription, it will move automatically with your domain to the new site, unless the site it’s moving to already has a G Suite subscription. It’s not possible to have two active G Suite subscriptions on one site.
Getting more help
- Current Squarespace site URL
- Squarespace site URL of the site you're moving the domain to
- Custom domain name
- How much of the process you’ve completed
Once we confirm your information, we'll help you complete the process.
Move a third-party domain
If you have a domain from another provider (like Network Solutions or 1&1) connected to a Squarespace site, follow these steps. Since you already connected the domain once, you don't need to redo every part of the process.
Note: If you haven't connected the domain to your Squarespace site yet, visit Connecting a domain to your Squarespace site.
Step 1 - Unlink the domain
Log into the site connected to the domain you want to move. In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
Click the domain you want to move, and then click Disconnect Domain.
Click Yes in the red message that appears to confirm.
Step 2 - Link the domain to your new site
Log into the site you want to connect to the domain. If you manage multiple sites, you can return to the Home Menu and open your site selection grid to switch between sites.
In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. Click Use a Domain I Own.
Enter the full domain name you’re linking in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check any other Squarespace sites you manage to determine where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site. For help logging into the correct site, visit Managing multiple sites.
Select your domain provider from the drop-down menu. If you don’t see your domain provider, select Other.
Click Connect Domain. You'll see a message letting you know that the connection to your domain is in progress. Click Okay to continue.
A new panel will open. In the first line, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column.
Step 3 - Update the CNAME Record
Note: If your domain is hosted by GoDaddy, Google, or Hover, you can skip this step. These providers connect domains to Squarespace automatically.
- Log into your domain provider.
- Find where you manage your DNS settings. Depending on your provider, this may be called Zone File Settings, DNS Manager, or something similar.
- Find the CNAME Record with verify.squarespace.com in the Points To field.
- Replace the text in the Alias field with the new code that you copied from the Domains panel.
- Don't change any other fields or records.
- Save the records.
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
Visit our provider-specific guides for detailed steps on editing CNAME Records in popular registrars.
Move your G Suite subscription
If you have a G Suite subscription linked to your third-party domain, we can move it to your new site. First, move your domain using the steps above, then open a ticket to request the move and include the following information:
Note: The site where you’re moving your domain can’t already have a G Suite subscription, even if it’s linked to a different domain. All Squarespace plans are allowed one G Suite account per site.
- Current Squarespace site URL
- Squarespace site URL of the site you're moving to
- Custom domain name
- Full name and last four digits of the credit card(s) on file for each site