You can move a custom domain from one Squarespace site to another from your Domains panel. How you move a domain depends on where you bought it. In either case, you'll start on the site where the domain is currently connected.
- For Squarespace Domains, use the Move Domain to Another Site button.
- For third-party domains, disconnect the domain and re-connect it to your new site.
For help with either process, follow the steps below.
Move a Squarespace Domain
If you registered a domain through Squarespace and want to use it with a different Squarespace site, move it in your Domains panel.
Before you begin
- You can move a Squarespace Domain to a trial site or parking page if it has a valid credit card. You can’t move a Squarespace Domain to an expired site.
- Both sites must be on the same Squarespace account.
- You must have Administrator permissions on both sites.
- If the site you're moving to isn't on your account, request to be added as a contributor with Administrator permissions.
- A free domain will convert to a paid domain if the site you're moving to is on a monthly plan or already has a free domain.
- If you move your domain to a site paid for with a different currency, the domain subscription will take on the new site's currency.
- If you're leaving Squarespace, you can also transfer the domain to a different provider.
Move your domain
Start with the site where your domain is currently linked.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You can also press ? while any panel is open and search domains. (If you're moving a domain from a parking page, start by clicking the domain in your main menu.)
- Click the domain you’d like to move.
- Scroll down, and click Move Domain to Another Site.
Note: If you don’t see a Move Domain to Another Site button, you don’t have another active site on your account. Review your active and trial sites in your Account Dashboard and upgrade your trial site, if needed, before moving the domain.
- In the pop-up window, click the thumbnail of the site where the domain will move.
- Log into the new site, and click Confirm to complete the process.
Note: If you see a “Move request failed. We were unable to move your domain at this time. Please try again later” message, check if you meet the requirements for moving a domain between sites. If the issue persists, follow the Getting more help steps below so we can move the domain for you. Please note that these requests may take some extra time to resolve.
Move your G Suite subscription
If the domain you’re moving has a linked G Suite subscription, it will move automatically with your domain to the new site, with a couple exceptions:
- If the site you’re moving to already has a G Suite account, the domain will move, but the G Suite account will stay linked to the original site. It’s not possible to have two active G Suite subscriptions on one site.
- If the linked G Suite account is suspended, you may be able to go through all the steps to move your domain, but neither the domain or the G Suite account will actually move. To move the domain, first reactivate or cancel the G Suite account.
Getting more help
- Current Squarespace site URL (like yoursite.squarespace.com)
- Squarespace site URL of the site you're moving the domain to
- Custom domain name
- How much of the process you’ve completed
After we confirm your information, we'll help you complete the process.
Move a third-party domain
If you have a domain from another provider (like Network Solutions or 1&1) connected to a Squarespace site, follow these steps. Since you already connected the domain once, you don't need to redo every part of the process.
Before you begin
- You can’t move a third-party domain to an expired site.
- If you haven't connected the domain to your Squarespace site yet, visit Connecting a domain to your Squarespace site.
- If you’re leaving Squarespace, follow our steps for disconnecting the domain instead of moving it.
Step 1 - Unlink the domain
Start with the site connected to the domain you want to move.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You can also press ? while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click the domain you want to move, then click Disconnect Domain.
- Click Yes in the red message that appears to confirm.
Step 2 - Link the domain to your new site
Log into the site you want to connect to the domain. If you manage multiple sites, you can return to the Home Menu and open your site selection grid to switch between sites.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click Use a Domain I Own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re linking in the Domain Name box, then click Continue.
- Click Connect From Provider.
Note: If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," check other Squarespace sites you manage to see where the domain is connected. Then disconnect it from that site. For help logging into the correct site, visit Managing multiple sites.
- Select your domain provider from the drop-down menu. If you don’t see your domain provider, select Other, and click Connect Domain.
- You'll see a Connecting in Progress message. Click Okay to continue.
- A new panel will open showing the records to enter in your domain provider’s account to reconnect to Squarespace. Since your domain was previously connected to Squarespace, you’ll only need to update the unique CNAME so it connects to the new site.
Step 3 - Update the CNAME Record
Tip: If your domain is hosted by GoDaddy, Google, or Hover, you can skip this step. These providers connect domains to Squarespace automatically.
- In the first line of your Squarespace DNS settings, copy the unique code that appears directly below the Host column.
- Log into your domain account.
- Find where you manage your DNS settings. Depending on your provider, this may be called Zone File Settings, DNS Manager, or something similar.
- Find the CNAME Record with verify.squarespace.com in the Points To field.
- Replace the text in the Alias field with the new code that you copied from the Domains panel.
- Don't change any other fields or records.
- Save your changes.
If all records are entered correctly, your domain should connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours. Visit the Domains panel at any time to check your progress.
Visit our provider-specific guides for detailed steps on editing CNAME Records in popular registrars.
Move your G Suite subscription
If you have a G Suite subscription linked to your third-party domain, we can move it to your new site. First, move your domain using the steps above, then email us to request the move and include the following information:
Note: The site where you’re moving your domain can’t already have a G Suite subscription, even if it’s linked to a different domain. All Squarespace plans are allowed one G Suite account per site.
- Current Squarespace site URL
- Squarespace site URL of the site you're moving to
- Custom domain name
- Full name and last four digits of the credit card(s) on file for each site