When a visitor submits a donation through a Donation Block, they'll receive an automatic confirmation email. You can customize the confirmation to thank donors in your own way and follow up with information about how you'll use the funds you've received.
Note: The Donations panel and Donations settings aren't visible until you add a Donation Block to your site.
Step 1 - Go to Donations
In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Donations.
Step 2 - Edit the email
You can edit the Subject Line, Title, and Message of the email. As you make changes, a preview of a live email populates to the right.
- Subject Line - You can customize the default subject line. For example, the default subject for the Order Confirmed email is "Site Name: Thank You", but you can change it to "Thanks for the support" or "Donation received."
- Title - Use a combination of custom text and the variables below to customize the main header of the email.
- Message - Use text, HTML, and JSON variables to customize the body of the email. For example, you can include information about how you you'll use the donation.
Use JSON variables in the email content
When customizing the email, usually regular text will suffice. There are also variables included in the default email content that you can use. These automatically populate information about your website and the specifics of the donation.
In the Subject Line and Title fields, you can use these variables:
- %d - The name of the donation.
- %s - The title of your site.
When editing the message, you can use these variables:
|donor.name||The full name (first + last) of the donor|
|nativeCurrencySymbol||Symbol for the currency set on your site, e.g. "$"|
|contribution.amountCents||Total amount donated. Like order.submittedOn before, this has to be run through a formatter function, moneyFormat, in order print correctly. moneyFormat doesn't take any customizing variables like date, though.|
|contribution.submittedOn||Just like order.submittedOn. Same date formatting options apply|
|website.baseUrl||The URL of your homepage. If you have a custom domain, this'll be http://www.yourdomainname.com/. If not, it will be http://yoursitetitle.squarespace.com.|
When you're finished making changes, click Save.
Note: The Business name and address set in the Business Information Settings panel appears at the bottom on all order emails.
Send a test email
To see how an email appears in your inbox, you can send yourself a test email by clicking Send Test Email To Youremail@email.com.
Restore to defaults
To reset the changes you've made, scroll down to the panel and click Restore Defaults. Use caution, as this process can't be reversed.