An SRV record, or a Service Record, is an advanced DNS setting that helps your domain connect to email or other services. While most people don't need to add these records to a Squarespace Domain, this guide will show you what to do if a third-party service requires it.
Note: This guide is for Squarespace Domains. If you’re using a third-party domain, follow your provider’s instructions for adding SRV records to your DNS settings.
Step 1 - Get information from your provider
Get the following values from the service you're connecting, and copy them somewhere easily accessible. You'll need them for Step 3.
Step 2 - Open Advanced DNS settings
Open Advanced DNS Settings for the domain you're editing:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains. You can also press the ? key while any panel is open and search domains.
- Click the domain name you’re editing.
- Click Advanced Settings.
Step 3 - Add SRV records
Next, create a custom record in your Advanced DNS settings using the values from Step 1. Scroll down to Custom Records and enter the correct information in each column:
Note: Enter the exact values from your provider, not the sample data shown in this guide.
- In the Record field, choose SRV from the drop-down.
- In the Host field, delete the @ placeholder and enter the Service and Protocol, separated by a period. For example: _service._protocol
- In the Priority field, enter the Priority or TTL number, if you have one. If you don’t have a Priority or TTL, leave this blank.
- In the Data field, enter the Weight, Port, and Target, with a single space between each one. For example: 1 100 target.test.com
- Click Add to save the record to your settings.
Here’s how the saved record might look in your DNS settings: