If you have a domain with Register.com, you can transfer it to Squarespace by following this guide. When you transfer your domain, you can manage your domain settings and billing from your Squarespace account.
Before you begin the transfer, consider reviewing:
- The pricing and billing details.
- Our domain transfer requirements.
- The timing involved in transferring a domain.
- The steps needed to move your custom email address.
Step 1 - Log into Register.com
Begin your domain transfer by logging into your Register.com account:
- Go to www.register.com, click Login and enter your User ID and Password.
- Under Log In To, select Manage My Domain Names from the drop-down menu and click Login.
Step 2 - Verify domain contact information
Confirm that your domain's contact information is up to date in the Account Settings tab:
- Click the Account Settings tab, then click WHOIS Contacts.
- Ensure that the Administrative Contact email address is correct. If it isn't, click Edit to make changes.
Note: For a smooth transition, the person listed as the domain administrator should handle the transfer. If you’re the domain administrator, ensure that the administrator email address listed for your domain is accurate and accessible.
Step 3 - Unlock your domain
Unlock your domain to enable the transfer:
- Click My Products & Services, then click My Domain Names.
- Scroll down to the domain's Details section and ensure that the Transfer Lock is disabled. If it's enabled, click Turn Off to unlock the domain, select Leave Domain Transfer Lock off, and click Save. You will see a confirmation message and you will be redirected to the domain details panel.
Step 4 - Request the authorization code
To request the authorization code from Register.com:
- In the domain's Details section, click Request authorization code.
- On the next page, click Continue Transfer and follow the prompts to request the authorization code.
Register.com will send your authorization code to the WHOIS Administrative Contact email address. You’ll enter this code later, after starting the transfer in your Squarespace site.
Note: Register.com may take up to five days to send this code. As soon as you receive it, you can start the transfer process in Squarespace.
Requesting the authorization code cancels your private registration. This means that your WHOIS contact information will be public during the transfer, but the privacy will automatically re-enable after your domain is successfully transferred.
Step 5 - Start the transfer and enter the authorization code
Begin the transfer process in your Squarespace site’s Domains panel:
- Confirm that you’re logged into the correct Squarespace site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re transferring in the Enter domain field, then click the arrow.
- Click Transfer Domain.
- In the Authorization Code field, paste the authorization code, then click Save and Continue.
Step 6 - Review and confirm registration details
In the Registration panel, confirm the contact information associated with the domain is correct. These fields automatically populate with registration information we detect from your WHOIS records with your original registrar. For help formatting these fields, visit Domain contact information.
To review and edit the registration details:
- Ensure that the address shown in the Email Address field is correct, as this is how we’ll notify you that your transfer is complete.
- Make any necessary changes to the information. Your changes will update on your WHOIS records when your transfer is complete.
- When everything looks correct and all required fields are complete, click Save and Continue.
Step 7 - Enter or review your payment information
In the Payment Information panel, the card attached to your site appears as the payment method. If your site is on a trial, you'll enter your credit card information. When everything looks correct, click Save and Continue.
If you have any trouble entering your credit card information, ensure you're using a payment method we accept.
Step 8 - Review your order
In the Review Order panel, you'll see the details fo the transfer. By transferring your domain to Squarespace, you’ll be charged for one additional year of domain registration with Squarespace. Pricing is based on your domain’s TLD, and may be free if you’re eligible.
To confirm the transfer:
- Review the payment information.
- Confirm the total charge for one year of domain registration.
- Review the terms near the bottom of the panel, including your domain’s new expiration date.
- If everything looks correct, click Confirm and Purchase.
- You'll see a message confirming you've initiated the transfer. Click Done to return to your Domains panel.
Step 9 - Approve the transfer through Register.com
Register.com will send an email to the Administrative Contact email address, with a link to approve or cancel the transfer. You can click the link and approve the transfer, to speed up the process. If you don’t take any action, Register.com will automatically approve the transfer within five days of completing the process in Squarespace.
Step 10 - Check the transfer status and fix issues
Next, return to the Domains panel to confirm the transfer is in progress. If there's an issue with the domain, an error message will display.
To check the status of your transfer:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You'll see a "Transfer pending" message under your domain.
- Click your domain, then click Refresh to see the current status.
Transfer status error messages
If your domain displays an error message, you can clear it depending on the message:
- Domain is locked - This message displays if the domain is locked, which blocks the transfer. To fix the issue, log into Register.com and unlock the domain. After unlocking the domain, this message will clear.
- Authorization code needed - This message displays if Register.com rejected the authorization code you entered in Step 5. To fix the issue, ensure the authorization code is correct, enter it in the error message's text field, then click Submit. We suggest copying and pasting the code for accuracy. After entering the correct authorization code, this message will clear.
Wait for the transfer to complete
Register.com should release the domain to Squarespace. If your domain transfer is still pending after 15 days, and you’ve correctly followed all steps above, contact Register.com for more details. This timing is out of Squarespace’s control.
While your transfer is in progress, we don't recommend changing your DNS settings or adding a Google Workspace email account. Wait until your domain is fully transferred before adding any new integrations.
When the domain is fully transferred, you'll receive a "Thank you" email from email@example.com, and the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a green label.
Troubleshooting failed transfers
If your domain fails to transfer, you’ll get an email from Squarespace. This can happen if you entered wrong information in the registration field, Register.com rejected the transfer, or for other reasons. For a full list of scenarios, see our FAQ.
Cancel or remove the transfer
If your domain transfer is pending, you may be able to cancel it:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click the domain that's pending transfer.
- Click Cancel transfer.
- Confirm the cancellation.
If your Domains panel still lists the domain as Transfer In Progress, ask Register.com to deny it. This may or may not be possible, and depends on whether they've already approved and released the domain.
If the transfer failed and you need to try again, you can remove the current transfer before starting over. While this step isn't necessary, you may find it easier to keep track of pending transfers.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains.
- Click the domain under Transfers In Progress.
- In the Transfer Error box, click Dismiss.
You may need to refresh your browser for the failed domain to disappear.
After the domain transfer is complete, you can:
- Cancel your Register.com account if you no longer need it. You’ll now manage all domain settings and billing through Squarespace.
- Set this as your primary domain.
- Choose to hide the domain’s “www” prefix.
- Review SSL settings for your site, if you haven't already.
- Add a custom email address through our integration with Google Workspace.
- Register additional domains.
- Review your domain invoice.
Getting more help
For more help with transferring from Register.com, contact their support team.