If you have a domain with Network Solutions, you can transfer it to Squarespace by following this guide. When you transfer your domain, you can manage all of your domain settings and billing from your Squarespace account.
Before you begin the transfer, consider reviewing:
- The pricing and billing details.
- Our domain transfer requirements.
- The timing involved in transferring a domain.
- The steps needed to move your custom email address.
Step 1 - Log into Network Solutions
Go to Network Solutions and log into your account to prepare your domain for transfer. Click the Account Settings tab.
Step 2 - Verify domain contact information
Networks Solutions will send your authorization code to your primary contact, and Squarespace will send the transfer verification to your WHOIS contact. Verify both email addresses in your Network Solutions Account Settings.
Note: To ensure a smooth transition, set the domain's primary contact and WHOIS contact as the same person, then let that person handle the transfer. Ensure that the email address listed for both is accurate and accessible.
To verify the primary contact information, click User Profile.
Scroll down to User Profile, and ensure that the email address shown is correct. To change any information, click Edit User Profile.
If the email address shown is incorrect, follow Network Solutions' instructions to update your WHOIS contact information.
Step 3 - Unlock domain and request authorization code
Use the following steps to unlock your domain and get the authorization code:
- In the Details section, click Turn Off or Request Authorization Code next to Transfer Lock.
- Click Continue.
- Check the box acknowledging that Network Solutions' transfer terms, then click Continue Transfer.
- Complete the survey questions, then click Request Authorization Code.
- Select Leave Domain Protect off, then check the Request Authorization Code box.
- Click Save.
Network Solutions will send your authorization code to the contact email address you confirmed in your User Profile. You’ll enter this code later, so ensure that you have access to the email.
Step 4 - Start the transfer in Squarespace
Begin the transfer process in your Squarespace site’s Domains panel.
- Confirm that you’re logged into the correct Squarespace site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains.
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re transferring in the Domain Name box, and then click Continue.
- Click Transfer to Squarespace.
A window will open, reminding you of the transfer requirements. Review the information and ensure that you've already taken all required steps.
If you see an error message at this point, ensure that your domain meets all of our transfer requirements. If it does, contact Network Solutions to investigate.
Step 5 - Prepare domain and authorize transfer
In the next window, you’ll confirm that you’ve unlocked your domain and you’ll enter your authorization code.
The Unlock Domain option should display a green check mark, which means you can transfer the domain. If it displays a red ! instead, contact Network Solutions for help, then click Refresh to try again.
Next, in the field under Enter Authorization Code, add the authorization code from Network Solutions.
Tip: The authorization code is a unique string of letters, numbers, and other characters. Because it can be a complex code, we recommend copying and pasting it instead of typing it.
When both options look correct, click Continue.
Step 6 - Review DNS settings
In the next window, confirm the DNS records to move to Squarespace. To minimize any downtime, we recommend keeping them all toggled to ON. Any options toggled to OFF must be managed manually.
- Point to Squarespace - Change CNAME and A records to point the domain to Squarespace.
- Keep Other DNS Records - Keep other DNS records intact, like MX records for email. Click View records to review the current DNS settings.
- Move Nameservers to Squarespace - Move the domain's nameservers to Squarespace. If you toggle this option off, it’s not possible to move DNS records to Squarespace.
If all settings look correct, click Continue.
Step 7 - Review and confirm registration details
In the next window, confirm the domain’s registration details. Ensure that the address shown in the Email Address field is correct, as this is how we’ll notify you that your transfer is complete.
These fields automatically populate with information we detect from your WHOIS records with your original registrar. For help formatting these fields, visit Domain contact information.
When everything looks correct and all required fields are complete, click Continue. If you’ve added any new data, your WHOIS records will update when your transfer is complete. This won't disrupt the transfer process, but will ensure all contact records are correct when they move to Squarespace.
Step 8 - Confirm registration terms and billing
Note: If your site is on a trial, you'll be prompted to enter your payment information before this step.
By transferring your domain to Squarespace, you’ll be charged for one additional year of domain registration with Squarespace. Pricing is based on your domain’s TLD, and may be free if you’re eligible.
To confirm the transfer:
- Confirm the credit card on file.
- Confirm the total charge for one year of domain registration.
- Review the terms in the white box, including your domain’s new expiration date.
- If everything looks correct, click Transfer.
If your payment is successful, you’ll see a purchase receipt. Click Continue to return to your Domains panel.
Step 9 - Accept the transfer from Network Solutions
After you've entered your authorization code, Network Solutions sends an email to the domain's primary contact with a link to approve or deny the transfer. If you don't click the link, Network Solutions will automatically approve the transfer within five days of entering your authorization code.
Step 10 - Wait for the transfer to complete
Congratulations, you’ve set up the domain to transfer!
Your previous provider should release the domain to Squarespace. If your domain transfer is still pending after 15 days, and you’ve correctly followed all steps above, contact Network Solutions for more details. This timing is out of Squarespace’s control.
While your transfer is in progress, we don't recommend changing your DNS settings or adding a G Suite email account. Wait until your domain is fully transferred before adding any new integrations.
When the domain is fully transferred, you'll receive a "Thank you" email from email@example.com, and the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a green label.
Troubleshooting failed transfers
If your domain fails to transfer, you’ll get an email from Squarespace. This can happen if you entered wrong information in the registration field, entered the authorization code incorrectly, or for other reasons. For a full list of scenarios, see our FAQ.
Cancel or remove the transfer
If you already confirmed the transfer in Squarespace, you may still be able to cancel it. If your Domains panel still lists the domain as Transfer In Progress, ask Network Solutions to deny it. This may or may not be possible, and depends on whether the current provider has already approved and released the domain.
If the transfer failed and you need to try again, you can remove the current transfer before starting over. While this step isn't necessary, you may find it easier to keep track of pending transfers.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains.
- Click the domain under Transfers In Progress.
- In the Transfer Failed box, click Done.
You may need to refresh your browser for the failed domain to disappear.
After the domain transfer is complete, you can:
- Cancel your Network Solutions account if you no longer need it. You’ll now manage all domain settings and billing through Squarespace.
- Set this as your primary domain.
- Choose to hide the domain’s “www” prefix.
- Enable SSL for your site, if you haven't already.
- Add a custom email address through our integration with G Suite.
- Register additional domains.
- Review your domain invoice.
Getting more help
For more help with transferring from Network Solutions, contact their support team at (888) 642-0209. You can also visit Web.com's documentation (Network Solutions' parent company).