If you have a domain with Network Solutions, you can transfer it to Squarespace by following this guide. When you transfer your domain, you can manage all of your domain settings and billing from your Squarespace account.
Before you begin the transfer, consider reviewing:
- The pricing and billing details.
- Our domain transfer requirements.
- The timing involved in transferring a domain.
- The steps needed to move your custom email address.
- Web.com's (Network Solutions' parent company) guide on transferring a domain away.
Step 1 - Log into Network Solutions and verify domain contact information
Networks Solutions will send your authorization code to your primary contact, and Squarespace will send the transfer verification to your WHOIS contact. To ensure a smooth transition, set the domain's primary contact and WHOIS contact as the same person, then let that person handle the transfer. Ensure that the email address listed for both is accurate and accessible.
Log into Network Solutions to verify both email addresses:
- Go to Network Solutions and log into your account.
- In the top-right corner, click your account icon, then click Account Settings.
- Click User Profile.
- Scroll down to User Profile, and ensure that the email address shown is correct.
- To change any information, click Edit User Profile.
- Use a public WHOIS website, like Who.is or EasyWhois.com, to verify the domain's administrative contact email address. It may take up to 24 hours for changes to the domain's information to update on the public WHOIS website.
- If the email address shown is incorrect, follow Network Solutions' instructions to update your WHOIS contact information.
Step 2 - Unlock domain and request authorization code
To complete the transfer, you'll need to unlock the domain and request the authorization code:
- In the sidebar, click Domain Names.
- Find the domain you're transferring and click Manage under the Action column.
- Scroll down to the Details section, then click Turn Off Request Authorization Code next to Transfer Lock.
- Click Continue Transfer.
- Check the box acknowledging that Network Solutions' transfer terms, then click Continue Transfer.
- Complete the survey questions, then click Request Authorization Code.
- Select Leave Domain Protect off, then check the Request Authorization Code box.
- Click Save.
Network Solutions will send your authorization code to the contact email address you confirmed in your User Profile. You’ll enter this code later, so ensure that you have access to the email.
Step 3 - Start the transfer and enter the authorization code
Begin the transfer process in your Squarespace site’s Domains panel:
- Confirm that you’re logged into the correct Squarespace site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click Use a domain I own.
- Enter the full domain name you’re transferring in the Domain Name field, then click Continue.
- Click Transfer to Squarespace.
- In the Enter Authorization Code field, paste the authorization code, then click Continue.
Step 4 - Review DNS settings
In the next window, confirm the DNS records to move to Squarespace. To minimize any downtime, we recommend keeping them all toggled to ON. Any options toggled to OFF must be managed manually.
- Point to Squarespace - Change CNAME and A records to point the domain to Squarespace.
- Keep Other DNS Records - Keep other DNS records intact, like MX records for email. Click View records to review the current DNS settings.
- Move Nameservers to Squarespace - Move the domain's nameservers to Squarespace. If you toggle this option off, it’s not possible to move DNS records to Squarespace.
If all settings look correct, click Continue.
Step 5 - Review and confirm registration details
In the next window, confirm the domain’s registration details. Ensure that the address shown in the Email Address field is correct, as this is how we’ll notify you that your transfer is complete.
These fields automatically populate with information we detect from your WHOIS records with your original registrar. For help formatting these fields, visit Domain contact information.
When everything looks correct and all required fields are complete, click Continue. If you’ve added any new data, your WHOIS records will update when your transfer is complete. This won't disrupt the transfer process, but will ensure all contact records are correct when they move to Squarespace.
Step 6 - Confirm registration terms and billing
Note: If your site is on a trial, you'll be prompted to enter your payment information before this step.
By transferring your domain to Squarespace, you’ll be charged for one additional year of domain registration with Squarespace. Pricing is based on your domain’s TLD, and may be free if you’re eligible.
To confirm the transfer:
- Confirm the credit card on file.
- Confirm the total charge for one year of domain registration.
- Review the terms in the white box, including your domain’s new expiration date.
- If everything looks correct, click Transfer.
- You'll see a message confirming you've initiated the transfer. Click Okay to return to your Domains panel.
Step 7 - Accept the transfer from Network Solutions
After you've entered your authorization code, Network Solutions sends an email to the domain's primary contact. You can use the email to approve or deny the transfer, or you can wait five days for Network Solutions to approve the transfer automatically.
Step 8 - Check the transfer status and fix issues
Next, return to the Domains panel to confirm the transfer is in progress. If there's an issue with the domain, an error message will display.
To check the status of your transfer:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains. You'll see a "Transfer pending" message under your domain.
- Click your domain, then click Refresh to see the current status.
Transfer status error messages
If your domain displays an error message, you can clear it depending on the message:
- Domain is locked - This message displays if the domain is locked, which blocks the transfer. To fix the issue, log into Network Solutions and unlock the domain. After unlocking the domain, this message will clear.
- Authorization code needed - This message displays if Network Solutions rejected the authorization code you entered in Step 4. To fix the issue, ensure the authorization code is correct, enter it in the error message's text field, then click Submit. We suggest copying and pasting the code for accuracy. After entering the correct authorization code, this message will clear.
Step 9 - Wait for the transfer to complete
Network Solutions should release the domain to Squarespace. If your domain transfer is still pending after 15 days, and you’ve correctly followed all steps above, contact Network Solutions for more details. This timing is out of Squarespace’s control.
While your transfer is in progress, we don't recommend changing your DNS settings or adding a G Suite email account. Wait until your domain is fully transferred before adding any new integrations.
When the domain is fully transferred, you'll receive a "Thank you" email from firstname.lastname@example.org, and the domain will appear in the Domains panel with a green label.
Troubleshooting failed transfers
If your domain fails to transfer, you’ll get an email from Squarespace. This can happen if you entered wrong information in the registration field, Network Solutions rejected the transfer, or for other reasons. For a full list of scenarios, see our FAQ.
Cancel or remove the transfer
If your domain transfer is pending, you may be able to cancel it:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Domains.
- Click the domain that's pending transfer.
- Click Cancel transfer.
- Confirm the cancellation.
If you already confirmed the transfer in Squarespace, you may still be able to cancel it.
If your Domains panel still lists the domain as Transfer In Progress, ask Network Solutions to deny it. This may or may not be possible, and depends on whether Network Solutions has already approved and released the domain.
If the transfer failed and you need to try again, you can remove the current transfer before starting over. While this step isn't necessary, you may find it easier to keep track of pending transfers.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Domains.
- Click the domain under Transfers In Progress.
- In the Transfer Error box, click Dismiss.
You may need to refresh your browser for the failed domain to disappear.
After the domain transfer is complete, you can:
- Cancel your Network Solutions account if you no longer need it. You’ll now manage all domain settings and billing through Squarespace.
- Set this as your primary domain.
- Choose to hide the domain’s “www” prefix.
- Enable SSL for your site, if you haven't already.
- Add a custom email address through our integration with G Suite.
- Register additional domains.
- Review your domain invoice.
Getting more help
For more help with transferring from Network Solutions, contact their support team at (888) 642-0209. For tips when contacting Network Solutions, visit Requesting third-party domain help.